Talk

Advanced search

Cleaners do you have one and work parttime?

(14 Posts)
granarybeck Mon 28-Feb-05 11:52:59

Does anyone work part time and have a cleaner? I am starting new job this week, which will be parttime wed-fri. i am doing parttime so i can pick them up from school two days and see them in the holidays.ds(8) and dd(6) are at school so i feel a bit guilty keeping the cleaner as i could do it myself on mon/tues, but at the moment cleaner comes on fridays and i love coming home on friday and having the house all clean for the weekend, even if just for 20 mins! Just don't know if can justify expense and have two days at home. Do all othe cleaner users work fulltime?

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 11:54:49

My mother has a cleaner and she doesn't work at all.

beachyhead Mon 28-Feb-05 11:55:51

I work Mon- Wed and have 4 hours cleaning on Thursday morning. Best money I spend all week.....

hoxtonchick Mon 28-Feb-05 11:56:04

yes! i work part-time & have a cleaner. has prevented many domestic disputes between dp & i. our ds is 3, & i'm pregnant, due in july, but this arrangement pre-dates the pregnancy. go for it!

iota Mon 28-Feb-05 11:57:27

I have a friend who works 3 days a week and has a cleaner.

I myself don't work, but have an ironing service. I am seriously tempted to get a cleaner as well.

If you can afford it, do it and don't feel guilty. Women weren't put on this earth to do household chores

dinosaur Mon 28-Feb-05 11:57:58

I work four days a week and my DH is a SAHD and we have a cleaner.

Chandra Mon 28-Feb-05 11:58:32

I don't work, DS is part time at nursery and I really would like to have a cleaner. It's impossible to keep the house clean, I don't have enough time to study and the rest of the time is spent chasing DS.

PS. You can justify the expense, after all you are not gettting a full time cleaner, are you? 2 hrs per week can really make a diference.

grumpyfrumpy Mon 28-Feb-05 12:00:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

granarybeck Mon 28-Feb-05 12:01:55

thank you, feel better now! doing three days to see the children and keep on top of household stuff, but i know when i've done it before pre cleaner, i spent whole day doing tesco run, unpacking, cleaning house from top to bottom and feeling like the housemaid whilst wishing i was at work! just feel a bit lazy as we are moving to a bigger house so are having to think about expenditures we can cut back on.

elliott Mon 28-Feb-05 12:04:36

I work part time and have a cleaner. My day off is to spend with ds's, not to be a domestic drudge. I don't see cleaning as my responsibility anyway - its a joint one and I'd rather we spent our time doing more interesting things than cleaning!
If I had time off in the week without ds's (they are still both preschool) then I might do more chores - probably the supermarket shop or some cooking in advance etc - but I would still have a cleaner.

polly28 Mon 28-Feb-05 23:34:35

I don't work and I have a cleaner.She works two hours a week and I couldn't let her go as she loves coming for the chat and to see ds.To be honest she isn't the best ,most efficient cleaner I've had but i really like her .
My house needs cleaning more than once a week anyway,god knows you'd think a herd of cattle just traipsed through some days.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 01-Mar-05 07:47:35

I don't work, and I have a cleaner who comes twice a week, for four hours each time.

I really suck at cleaning, it's not something I really even know how to do (I was raised by wolves). I am trying to become more tidy, at least.

But the cleaner means the house is always ok, we have people over a fair bit, and we don't spend time arguing about it.

(I do cook lots. I don't just goof off.)

reindeer Tue 01-Mar-05 07:59:48

I think if you can afford a cleaner then why not.

If it makes life a bit easier then don't feel guilty!

P.S. I'm jealuos!!

bobbybob Tue 01-Mar-05 08:07:26

I had a cleaner (briefly for a week) and I work part-time, but I have a 2 year old ds to look after the rest of the time. If you have a good cleaner then I would keep hold of her, you may not be working part time forever. Also there is still plenty of housework to do on your day off, cooking, washing, ironing etc.

Now cleaner has gone I seem to spend all my child free/workfree time doing housework, and it can't be long before I spontaneously combust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now