Talk

Advanced search

are after school clubs for 3 year olds total madness ??

(6 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 24-Sep-08 19:52:12

My 3.5 year old daughter goes to norsery 3 full days and 2 half days a week, like most of the children there. The class in for ages 3-4, and the children have very full days of baby gym, dance, music rythem and ryme etc.
I don't then see the need to go to clubs after nursery. A lot of the mums mention , now we're off to ballet, swimming, tennis etc. hmm I'm not having a go at them at all, it's up to them. It's just that they ask me what clubs my daughter does and when I say, she dosn't do any they seem surprised. It sort of kills the conversation.
When she finishes school, we play. We run around having fun in our local country park, or we sit and chat together, make little houses etc.
Do you think parents have forgotten about the importance of play ? It's good for little children to have the time and space to develop their own ideas surely?

mummyloveslucy Wed 24-Sep-08 20:25:55

Anyone ?

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 24-Sep-08 20:28:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Sep-08 20:31:15

It is very good for little children to have the time and space to deveop their own ideas!

Well done for not getting sucked into extra tennnis/ dance / gym. These things are lovely for very active children who are only at nursery for mornings / afternoons.

My DD is in her nursery year, and for some unknown reason I would like her to do ballet.I know though, that as she does 2 1/2 days at nursery it will probably be to much for her, and it will definately be too much next year when she is in reception.

I think it is a shame that 8 is considered old these days, to be starting a new interest, such as tennis or dance.

nannyL Wed 24-Sep-08 20:59:36

completely agree with youmummyloveslucy

my 5 year old is in year 1 and has 1 after school session (swimming) and tha is more than enough for him.

i really dont think little childrne need an activity every afternoon and every morning and that 1 thing a day is more than enough... and even 1 thing per da can be too much

as i put it you need to do other stuff... days out / playing / meeting friends etc etc etc

mummyloveslucy Wed 24-Sep-08 21:01:11

Malory- Ive been thinking that too recently. She's an only child with no friends around of her age. She also has speech problems so we thought it's good for her.
She loves it, to the point of wanting to stay longer. But I'm starting to miss her, after having her all summer. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now