Talk

Advanced search

£50 School shoes falling apart after only 3 weeks. What are my rights?

(16 Posts)
LynetteScavo Mon 22-Sep-08 13:53:38

I bouht Ricosta School shoes for DS1 thinking they would last longer than Clarks.(I've always been pleased with Ricoasta in the past)

I bought them from a childrens independant shoe shop, and the owner has a reputation for being a bit awkward.

I'm dreading going back to the shop, as I'm ont the complaining type (DH says I must).So where I stand on this?

HuwEdwards Mon 22-Sep-08 13:55:34

Can't your DH go then?

tbh, I find the only people who are good at this type of thing are those that enjoy the battle. If you're half-hearted, you'll lose.

schwotz Mon 22-Sep-08 13:56:06

You must take them back

TheArmadillo Mon 22-Sep-08 13:56:08

Could try getting advice from consumer direct first if you want to know the precise legal position.

Basically though it would come under not fit for purpose.

Don't let them fob you off when sending you back to manufacturer - your contract is with the shop, it is their responsibilty to take it back up with the manufacturer.

Know what you want before you go in. Do you want a refund? A replacement? I think legally they are only expected to provide you with a replacement product that is fit for purpose.

EffiePerine Mon 22-Sep-08 13:56:19

Falling apart after 3 weeks is not fit for purpose. Def complain.

Mutt Mon 22-Sep-08 13:56:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cadelaide Mon 22-Sep-08 14:00:15

You don't need to complain in a "complaining" way, iyswim.

The shoes are clearly "not fit for the purpose for which they're intended". Just smile and be pleasant and at no point say "sorry". Say something like "I'd like a refund please" and then go on to show/explain.

£50 shoes falling apart after 3 weeks? That's appalling.

Cadelaide Mon 22-Sep-08 14:01:17

I'm a shopkeeper, btw. You are entitled to a refund.

schwotz Mon 22-Sep-08 14:01:45

www.consumerdirect.gov.uk Remember, if you are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or compensation, it is the trader who must sort out your problem. The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer.

Give them a chance to repair or replace first.

masalachameleon Mon 22-Sep-08 14:02:24

LynetteScavo Mon 22-Sep-08 14:07:17

Huw - I did say that to DH! He aparntly is fat too busy even though his office is a feww doors down from the shop. He says it will be better coming from me as I spend aslmost as much as we do on our mortgage in there (slight exageration).

I pretty sure she will tell me to take them to the cobblers, and she will pay the bill. ( I think the cobblers could probaby ment them) Is this acceptable? Obviously, I'd rather just have a new pair but if I asked for a new pair she'd probably pretend she didn't have any in his size.

schwotz Mon 22-Sep-08 14:07:54

TBH when all the new stock comes in I expect there will be models which are faulty.

I now buy a cheap pair for dds, for the first few weeks back to school and then buy them something later when the cheap pair have fallen apart. That normally means I only buy one expensive pair in Nov - Dec, to get them through to spring, then another cheap pair if their feet have grown in the spring sales to get them through to summer.

LynetteScavo Mon 22-Sep-08 14:08:44

Thanks shwotz - that link was really helpfull. smile

nervousal Mon 22-Sep-08 14:30:41

No - her telling you to take them to be mended would NOT be acceptable. If she suggests it just smile sweetly and say"no - I'd prefer my money back please"

LynetteScavo Mon 22-Sep-08 16:27:48

She is ordering a new pair for us. smile

Do you think she's a mumsnetter? grin

Mutt Mon 22-Sep-08 16:34:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now