Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

very dull question about school uniform

(11 Posts)
beansmum Mon 15-Sep-08 14:56:30

I need my budget for next year to be as accurate as possible so I'm trying to work out exactly what clothes ds will need. I had it all worked out but then remembered he starts school in June.

His school uniform will be shorts and polo shirts for summer, trackpants, polo shirts and sweatshirts for winter. How many of each do you think I will need? How many do you have? Do your dcs wear their uniforms after school or change into other clothes when they come home?

Sorry to be soooooooo extremely dull!

Rubyrubyruby Mon 15-Sep-08 14:59:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

compo Mon 15-Sep-08 15:00:39

same as ruby
about 3 pairs of trousers is fine
same for polo shirts as long as you put the washing on regularly

MadameCastafiore Mon 15-Sep-08 15:00:49

Have a look at M&S online if you can afford them now lots of stuff in the sale.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 15-Sep-08 15:00:55

How many you get depends on how messy your kid is and how often you want to do the laundry (and if they have school lunches...you can avoid baked beans and gravy in a lunchbox!).

My DD rarely changes out of her uniform but a lot of kids do... you decide what suits you and make that the rule from day 1.

beansmum Mon 15-Sep-08 15:05:43

hmm, I suppose I'll have to wait and see how easy it is to wash stuff, I hadn't thought about that. I'm going to have a communal laundry next year, not sure how many it's shared with.

DanJARMouse Mon 15-Sep-08 15:06:01

DD1 has just started school.

She has 2 grey skirts, 2 summer dresses and 5 t-shirts.

She has the school jumper and cardigan.

Cost £4 for 2 skirts, £5 for the t-shirts and a very kind mner sent me the summer dresses for free.

£9 for her shoes.

The ball-breaker was the school jumper and cardigan and book bag - £25!

sitdownpleasegeorge Mon 15-Sep-08 15:23:51

beansmum

if you buy shorts with waist adjusters (Next do these) you may well get 2 summers out of them as you can tighten them up for the first summer and let them out to the maximum for the following year.

You'll probably still need sweatshirts for the summer unless you live somewhere warmer than the UK.

Look at ebay for bargains. I once got 5 (yes 5!) pairs of grey school trousers for less than £10.00 including postage. No-one can tell that these were used and not new although with trackpants that may be a bit more difficult as they do gwt a bit tatty with regular wear.

beansmum Mon 15-Sep-08 15:30:27

I'll be in NZ, it might be a bit warmer than here. But if not sweatshirts would last the whole year wouldn't they?

There will be sales of secondhand uniforms so hopefully I wont have to buy much new, I'll probably get one new sweatshirt just so ds looks smart in the 'first day at school' photos.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 15-Sep-08 15:35:50

DD (aged 7) has three school skirts (one was passed on when another girl left), one pair of trousers and six polo shirts. This is probably more than she strictly needs, but it was all bought very cheaply in supermarket sales and sized to last two years. When she was in reception she came home every day covered in food spills and, as we don't have a tumble drier, I made sure we had enough school uniform never to run short.

Seeline Mon 15-Sep-08 15:39:28

Mine have enough tops for one each day as these seem to take the brunt of paint, food etc. Bottoms don't seem to get so dirty, or maybe because they are dark grey it just doesn't show so much wink They don't change when they get in as that would mean two lots of washing every day by the time they had spilt their tea down those clothes as well!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now