Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to live in Liverpool

(14 Posts)
Laugs Mon 15-Sep-08 09:18:54

If you were moving to Liverpool and didn't have much money, which part of the city would you want to live in?

We're not moving now, just thinking about it in the next couple of years.

Thanks x

Laugs Mon 15-Sep-08 14:22:30

bump

Habbibu Mon 15-Sep-08 14:30:07

My family are from Liverpool, but I haven't lived there in ages, so this is a bit of a guess - south Liverpool areas are quite nice - round Sefton Park and Calderstones Park, Grassendale, Aigburth (I think). Allerton Road has gone much more upmarket since my day - lots of nice wee cafes and shops. West Derby used to be nice, don't know what it's like any more. Bits of Childwall also nice. Hope someone with more up-to-date local knowledge is along soon!

TotalChaos Mon 15-Sep-08 14:37:15

some parts of wavertree, childwall or allerton road area or mossley hill. 3 bed terraces are quite reasonably priced (likely to be yard rather than garden in allerton road). or you could go a little further south and live in hunts cross or woolton. west derby is a bit variable.

BitOfFun Mon 15-Sep-08 14:39:23

I like Waterloo in the North. Close to posher bits, but down-to-earth and far less expensive, with a real community atmosphere. Old style terraced housing, but large inside, lots of rooms with high ceilings. Great tranport links, and plenty of useful local shops and good parks. And some good bars and restaurants, if you ever get a sitter. Walking distance from the sea, and Anthony Gormley statues - lovely beach for a walk, especially with pets and kids.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 15-Sep-08 14:41:11

what about over in Birkenhead ? not that I know it at all,though BIL lives there - are there nice places thereabout ?

Cattymum Mon 15-Sep-08 14:41:28

Sorry I can be more up to date than Habbibu, I left liverpool 6 years ago, lived in Aigburth, which used to be cheap with a bohemian vibe, but house prices have shot up lots with the whole city of culture thing. most of the nicer areas are in south liverpool.

What are you looking for? do you want ot be close to the river? Sefton Park? do you want vibrant inner city life (Toxteth) or something a bit more suburban (childwall, Gateacre)?

ChacunaSonGout Mon 15-Sep-08 14:45:05

i would second aigburth - 3 bed terraces nice and spacious but likely to be yard

lots of great parks nearby though

Bucharest Mon 15-Sep-08 14:47:01

Waterloo.
You can walk to Sainsbury's in Crosby along the beach.....(well, for part of the way- it used to make me feel v continental)

BitOfFun Mon 15-Sep-08 14:47:13

There are posher bits to the north too - Crosby, Blundellsands, further out Formby (very nice indeed btw, but too far from the city to feel like Liverpool in my opinion). It gets nicer as you go up the train line to the places I mention here. Waterloo is just before Crosby, so it has a nice mix of deflected poshness and working class warmth, lol. The sort of place people used to scrub their doorsteps. It's affordable though, and that's important I think.

Cattymum Tue 16-Sep-08 17:20:15

I think you have to travel further away from the city to find nice areas if you live to the north. Isnt that what resident scousers call "woolyback" land? (ie, not proper liverpool!)

The trains in that direction are good though, but I could walk from the city centre to Aigburth or Woolton (and often did after a night out!)

Laugs Wed 17-Sep-08 09:33:53

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a look into those areas. I think I looked at Aigburth a while back (is this where Lark Lane is?) and it was out of our price range. Has a lovely feel to it though.

We probably wouldn't want to be too far out of the city to be honest as we don't drive and like to be involved in the culture and stuff (or pretend we are!)

I imagine we would be looking at quite a working class neighbourhood, but it's just hard knowing which ones are decent and which are not. The description of Waterloo sounds great, so I'll see if we can afford it!

ChacunaSonGout Wed 17-Sep-08 19:50:14

laugs - what (ish) budget are you looking at - the other side of Aigburth road is probably cheaper but still nice

We live in West Derby...

My husband is from Liverpool and has lived in this area his whole life...

I am not from Liverpool and have lived all over and I can honestly say that living Liverpool is by far the happiest I have ever been.

It's a wonderful city full of kind, intelligent people and does not deserve the reputation it has.

Prior to buying a house in in West Derby I lived in Old Swan which is a great first home area with lots of young families but I do LOVE West Derby. Its friendly and easy to get about. It's a lovely lovely area!

It is a little pricier than other parts of Liverpool but not so much as comparible areas in South Liverpool.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now