Talk

Advanced search

What music have you bought/downloaded for your primary school aged children?

(18 Posts)
Earlybird Sun 14-Sep-08 19:50:45

DD has a real passion for music, and I want to get her some new music to listen to. Actually what I really mean, is I want to get her some 'old' music that will be new to her.

Currently contemplating a Jackson 5 'Greatest Hits' that I bet she'll love - melodic, upbeat, rhythmic, and fun music.

What do your dc currently love, and what have they loved in the past? What are you thinking of introducing them to?

boogeek Sun 14-Sep-08 19:58:29

Abba!
Altered Images.
Some beatles, some libertines, adam and the ants.
She currently loves the Glasvegas album even though I am a bit hmm at the lyrics

iheartdusty Sun 14-Sep-08 20:00:14

Big success with both DCs have been:

Louis Prima - just a gigolo, Angelina in the Pizzeria etc
Sound track to 5 Guys Named Mo
Beatles - the more 'rocky' ones eg 'baby you can drive my car', etc
A band called 'I'm from Barcelona' = they are Swedish and quite mad. Songs include 'Treehouse', 'Chicken Pox' and others
Ian Dury
Madness
T Rex
Abba

thewiltedrose Sun 14-Sep-08 20:01:21

Slipknot
Korn
Disturbed
Metallica
And the Ben 10 theme tune (rock version)

I kid you not.

My little headbangers got good taste although i dont see any of his friends at nursary knowing them lol

Earlybird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:09:12

twr - are you having a laugh? How old are your dc? Are you really introducing a nursery aged child to Slipknot?? shock Just curious - why did you not start them with something a little more gentle, or at least PC?

harpomarx Sun 14-Sep-08 20:14:40

most kids seem to love reggae - get one of the compilations of old classics

thewiltedrose Sun 14-Sep-08 20:21:56

Why is your kind of music any more PC than mine? Have you heard all of their songs? Do you think they all have swearing and are heavy? He also listens to reggae, ragga dancehall, jazz and some pop although he tends to tune out if anything doest have a guitair in it.

I play it he likes it im not forcing him he just happens to like rock music!

noonki Sun 14-Sep-08 20:22:14

Oh what a great timed thread we are just making a compilation for DS1'a third birthday ...

and need some more idea's so far have:

his favourites so far are:
A boy named sue (JOhny Cash)
Our house/ghost town (Madness)
Yellow submarine/allyou need is love/here comes the sun (Beatles)
I don't like Cricket /Dreadlock holiday(10cc)
Think/Respect (aretha)
too much too young (Specials)
3 is the magic number (DE la soul)
mentira(manu chao)
Everybodys talking (Beautiful South)
Mamma Mia (Abba)
Mr Blue Sky (ELO)
Sittin on the dock of the bay (Otis)
Irish rover (the pogues)
Reasons to be cheerful (Ian Dury)
My grandma (Dr John)

will watch in anticipation!

Heated Sun 14-Sep-08 20:32:11

The big favourite is 'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly'

Earlybird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:32:25

noonki - great tracklisting. Must say I haven't got it together to make a compilation. Do you put it on ipod?

DD loved the Abba Greatest Hits. Also thinking about perhaps getting her some Motown and Stevie Wonder.

FossilSister Sun 14-Sep-08 20:37:36

Beatles, Elvis, Abba, ELO, Madness, Bob Marley.

Mine unfortunately love "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt but also Kate Bush. They love shouting out "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" at top volume for some reason. They believe they can fly and adore "Umbrella" by Rihanna.

"Mr Blue Sky" is a big favourite, and we all love "Pretty Vacant" by the Pistols.

My girls love Sugababes, Girls Aloud and Kylie, but also Aretha, Diana Ross and Edith Piaf. (Nooooo ree ann duh ree ann).

filthymindedvixen Sun 14-Sep-08 20:41:13

ds (10) has recently demanded
Dreadzone
The Levellers
Linkin Park
The Hoosiers
The Fratellis
Arctic Monkeys
Chemical Brothers
The Doors
Madness
Led Zepellin
3 Daft Monkeys
The Beatles
Transglobal Underground
The Specials

Hulababy Sun 14-Sep-08 20:46:13

The more recent purchases or uploads to MP3 player for 6y DD include:

High School Musical
Hannah Montana
Elvis
Abba
Scouting for Girls
Take That
Joseph
Oliver
Pop Party

There are lots of songs from some of our CDs she likes too; she is used to listening to radio 2 in the car so most stuff they play on their too, lol!

Earlybird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:48:58

fmv - interesting musical taste, and there are some names I don't recognise (Transglobal Underground, 3 Daft Monkeys). Now that he is the age to request certain things, would love to know what you actively introduced to him when he was a bit younger.

FossilSister - thank goodness James Blunt isn't a factor in our house. Dd was momentarily obsessed with that bird who sang "I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair" about 18 months ago. She's certainly disappeared hasn't she?

FossilSister Sun 14-Sep-08 20:55:12

I blame my sister and a long car journey with one CD. Has anyone seen Gavin and Stacey?

filthymindedvixen Sun 14-Sep-08 20:56:11

well. he has been spoon-fed everything from Steeleye Span to the Sex Pistols

Transglobal Underground is world music with a dancey feel
3 Daft Monkeys are a Cornish Band we saw en famille supporting The Levellers who ds fell in love with.
here they are

Obviously there is an element of 'monkey see, monkey do' but he genuinely seeks out artists by himself now!
(He also likes Yellowcard, which is a US band of pretty-boy sk8ters, but I was quite impressed as they are guitar-based and use some folky violins )

filthymindedvixen Sun 14-Sep-08 20:58:31

(he also has a definite soft spot for chicks with dreadlocks shock)

squilly Mon 15-Sep-08 21:17:59

DD got into the Arctic Monkeys, Fratellis, Reverend & The Makers, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs and Milburn.

She is now 7 and hasn't moved much (Dear God, why did I let her listen to the Kaiser Chiefs??? Ruby Ruby Ruby is now driving me nuts!

I wanted her to listen to Amy Winehouse, but she'll have none of it, Paul Weller and Madness. So far, no good....but hey ho. I'll neb on here and see what else gets mentioned

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now