Talk

Advanced search

ever feel as if you have run out of things to do?

(64 Posts)
dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:19:49

sometimes I worry that now I have had a lovely wedding (7 years ago) and had my 2 beautiful DS's that there isn't much to look forward to in life (i.e. no more big and exciting life changes).

Is this really strange or does anybody else feel like this.

PS: this isn't meant to be a really serious thread - more of a poll re. what everybody else thinks.

vict17 Thu 24-Feb-05 10:22:37

I often feel like that. I sometimes just feel a bit bleak about the future. I know lots of people will say there are our children's weddings etc to look forward to tho.

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:24:56

OK - let's think of things to really look forward to:

Travel
DS's weddings
Grandchildren (too far off though )

Anybody else got any ideas?

SeaShells Thu 24-Feb-05 10:25:55

Not in a nasty way....I'm looking forward to the kids leaving home (lol DD is still only 1!), I see my parents now all the kids have left home and they have a lovelly 'clean and tidy' home, relaxing lifestyle, Saga holidays etc.... Can't wait to buy my retirement home abroad....and go on coach tips...

vict17 Thu 24-Feb-05 10:26:16

How about when children are teenagers and we don't need baby sitters any more?!!

collision Thu 24-Feb-05 10:27:15

No, I don't feel like this.

Mind you we moved to Italy 2 yrs ago and now we are looking to move back to the UK so there are 'challenging' times ahead for us!

Would booking a holiday be something to look forward to or did you mean something bigger?

flashingnose Thu 24-Feb-05 10:27:35

Gosh no, I really don't feel like this. I love seeing my children growing and each new thing they achieve (sorry if that's a bit bleurgh) but I'm also really looking forward to getting some time for me back and expanding my horizons again.

I'd hate to think all the good bits were over by my thirties

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:28:01

mmm... lovely clean home (sounds blissful )

maybe retrain in the medical field when the kids are older (hardly going to set the world on fire though - is it?)

stitch Thu 24-Feb-05 10:28:02

you could always move to a differetn country. try a radical new career. adopt a child.
i think its a case of whether you want to do those things and do you want to upset the ballcart

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:29:38

dont get me wrong - I love the kids, so much so that I'd love another. That's what got me thinking - do I really want another baby or is it the excitement and anticipation that is the first draw?

Perhaps it all just feels a bit pedestrian from here on in.

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:30:17

stitch - I must be a change junkie - we just moved to South Africa from the UK.

Fimbo Thu 24-Feb-05 10:30:42

Looking forward to being 40 and hopefully going to New York then. Sadly after that its all down hill and the joy of looking forward to a life of bunions and elastic stockings for my varicose veins which are both heriditory (sorry sp!) in my family!!

stitch Thu 24-Feb-05 10:31:20

maybe its more a case of us growing up, and realising that we are not going to set the world on fire. and will just have our little part init.?

paolosgirl Thu 24-Feb-05 10:32:19

No, and I am not trying to sound smug, honest! As the kids are getting older, I'm looking forward to things like moving on in my job/career, going on a nice holiday both as a family, and with dh, taking up our hobbies again with the kids (we like hillwalking and biking), doing more camping, seeing the kids move on through school and uni (if that's what they want). Dh and I eventually want to tour Europe in one of these camper vans.

Maybe some of the big life changes are past, but there are more to come - both big and small!

iota Thu 24-Feb-05 10:32:29

I'm with Seashells and Flashing Nose - my ds2 is 3.5 and I'm really enjoying being able to do more now he's past babyhood - we go to the cimema and out for meals with them now (didn't have much fun when he used to sit in a highchair and scream the restarant down).

We've also just got him on a proper bicycle - I'm really looking forward to them growing up and being able to do more. And we had a fab holiday in Florida last Oct - they were both old enough to appreicate it and no nappies or potty training to faff about with.

gonna stop now, as I'm rambling

vict17 Thu 24-Feb-05 10:32:37

I think I'm quite a pessimistic kind of person and worry about being old and frail!!

DaddyCool Thu 24-Feb-05 10:32:46

i'm with dejags. DW and i are in a real state of 'what the hell do we do now'. we're thinking of moving to another country. we're also considering having another child but we need to make our minds up about the other country thing first.

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:34:28

oh but I miss that feeling of not being able to sleep for excitement.

flashingnose Thu 24-Feb-05 10:35:47

What about taking up extreme sports? I'm sure that would give you sleepless nights .

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:36:06

maybe it's just a feeling you get when you have really young kids - life is slightly on hold (not that I am complaining).

Think I need to plan something BIG , but what?

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:36:43

mmm... FN, a spot of bungy jumping or skydiving? maybe do it for charity or something?

vict17 Thu 24-Feb-05 10:37:53

how about a big family party for a birthday or anniversary?

flashingnose Thu 24-Feb-05 10:38:02

Well absolutely. I'd love to do something that meant my kids were coming to cheer me on, rather than the other way round, for once.

dejags Thu 24-Feb-05 10:39:30

I have been thinking of organising a surprise trip for DH and I's 7th wedding anniversary (sans kiddies). By jove I think I'll do it

MancMum Thu 24-Feb-05 10:48:18

I know this feeling really well... I feel like I have done all the big things... uni, travel, career, marriage, kids.. and now I have my life it is time to live it... there aren't going to be any major changes to the fundamental structure of my life (barring disaster)... whilst 99.99% of the time I rejoice in how lucky I am to have fab DH, divine DS and DD and great parents and well paid job, there are times when I think that life now on is all about maintaining what I have .. but reading over this thread makes me aware that there still are things to be achieved , I just need to define them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: