Talk

Advanced search

I need to rant at you lot because if I rant at dp all hell will break loose or I will collapse into a rather pathetic sobbing mess.

(24 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:05:16

I am supposed to be going to my grandmas ( who passed away earlier in the week) to sort through her belongings, pick an outfit for the funeral etc. It is a 3 hour drive. My grandad was going to collect me and take me. He has been taken unwell so cannot do it. My mum is waiting for me in Cornwall and I know she is annoyed I did not come down straight after school last night but I was too tired after my first full week at a new school.

Dp could drive me but he is in a foul mood over the heating incident, he knows I need a lift to Cornwall but has not offered to take me and instead has been wandering about the house randomly snapping at dd and I and is now unpacking the garage. I know if I ask dp he will flip.

I would go on public transport but it is not easy as the train only goes to Exeter \and then I have to wait for a coach and then another bus. The services are very unfrequent and I am having to take loads of packing boxes and I have to bring lots of things back and mum only has a tiny car.

On top of that I am feeling really rough.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 13-Sep-08 09:07:24

Rant away

I am going to ask a really stupid q - can you take the car?

Make things easier for you smile

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:08:37

I don't drive.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 13-Sep-08 09:11:07

See I said it was a stupid q.

And I am sorry for your loss.

Now, how long will it take you to get there by public transport - would it be worth it to suck up DP's sulking just for today then have it all out with him tomorrow?

Mamabea Sat 13-Sep-08 09:13:02

sympathy- hard if you're having to tread on egg shells.

can I call him some names on your behalf?

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 13-Sep-08 09:13:57

oooh yes - a name calling-fest

NorthernLurker Sat 13-Sep-08 09:14:11

Could you ask a friend? Or can you throw some money at the problem - these are very special circumstances after all - so train to Exeter then taxi the rest of the way. Pack things up and have them couriered wherever you want them.
If Dp asks why you are eating baked beans for the rest of the month I'm sure you will take great pleasure in telling him!

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:14:56

It is not the sulking that bothers me he will explode.

I could come back with my mum in her car but we need to bring all her belongings back as the landlord says her house needs to be emptied asap.

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:16:52

I can't get a taxi from Exeter it is dd birthday next week and it would mean spending her present money.

I am waiting for my mum to ring now wanting to know why I have not set off.

I have just moved to a new area so don't really know anyone.

I need to stop being a baby count to ten and breathe deeply and ask him to take me.

hecate Sat 13-Sep-08 09:17:04

He will explode? Are you afraid of him? That's worrying.

BlackEyedDog Sat 13-Sep-08 09:17:05

in your situation and from previous form I know that I would most likely explode in manner of shreiking harpee.

don't do that.

best thing is to try and keep calm and concentrate on what you have to do ignoring for a min dp's unhelpfulness

at least this way you get to remain on higher ground in a grown up way and may even win a little co-operation from dp (though don't count on it)

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:20:08

just looking up public transport next train to Exeter arrives at half two. coach arrives in Bude at half five! My mum will flip I am supposed to be helping and I need to be home late afternoon tomorrow to get ready for school.

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:20:47

he will explode verbally not anything else.

Mamabea Sat 13-Sep-08 09:21:53

Sounds like you are stuck between rock and hard place.

I would try and ask. You need support.

Perhaps after initial explosion he will see you need his help and perhaps mellow?

Mamabea Sat 13-Sep-08 09:23:03

and by the way-sounds like a hell of a week you've had.

Hassled Sat 13-Sep-08 09:28:18

Just ask him. This is post-bereavement sorting out of stuff we're talking about - rather more important in the grand scheme of things than having a hissy fit over heating (where he was in the wrong anyway).

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:29:21

Have asked him and he is not happy and had a little rant. He does not want to go so I have said he needs to phone my mum and they need to decide between them what they want me to do.

Nbg Sat 13-Sep-08 09:37:54

Not being judgemental or anything but its a bit unfair of him isnt it.
Your Grandma has just died!

Its not like you want a lift so that you can go out on the piss all day!

NorthernLurker Sat 13-Sep-08 09:48:04

Well he is behaving like a child! I understand about the taxi but what about asking a friend - I know it's a big favour to ask. Regarding briging things back - is there any money in the estate to pay for storage or courier? Or would your mum pay for the taxi?

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 09:52:18

There is no money in the estate she was conned by lots of fake clairvoyants and gave everything away and was in a lot of debt.

puffling Sat 13-Sep-08 10:56:45

Heap burning coals on his head. Just quietly go about your business, take the train and bus.

twinsetandpearls Sat 13-Sep-08 11:03:36

I have done lots of housework to placate him, he has calmed down and has agreed to take me. If I took the train and bus I would not be there until six tonight and that is if \i left at ten and My mum says she does not want another night in the house. So that would not give m time to do anything.

scaryteacher Sat 13-Sep-08 17:10:21

Train to Plymouth - bus to Launceston or Bude, or train to Bodmin and then bus. There are trains that go beyond Exeter.

twinsetandpearls Sun 14-Sep-08 20:18:36

There are but I think the quickest way is to Exeter but I will check. Dp drove me in the end although he winged all the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now