Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP>>>>>>Ds3 fallen off the sofa....big bang.....then sick......HELP!

(19 Posts)
emmatmg Wed 23-Feb-05 19:58:00

DH is at work, ds1+2 are in bed so I'm stuck here. I know NHS direct will say take him to A+E because he was sick but I can't get there. Plus no baby sitters .

He's happy now, playing, demanding his milk, and doing all his usual things.

He was only sick a little bit and had just eaten a huge dinner.

What do I do?

Mum2girls Wed 23-Feb-05 20:00:24

I'd still contact NHS direct and ask them if there are any other checks you can do yourself to allay your fears. If he's okay in himself, then that is a good sign (as I'm sure you know), but definitely contact them.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Feb-05 20:00:32

I think they would say that, given the being sick, but I'd phone them anyway.

No passing out, only a little bit of throwing up? What did he hit?

sallystrawberry Wed 23-Feb-05 20:03:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emmatmg Wed 23-Feb-05 20:06:20

definatley didn't pass out because he SCREAMED the place down.

He was standing on the sofa and fell over the end, head first. Not a huge distance but a very load bang.

emmatmg Wed 23-Feb-05 20:08:29

can't get dh home for work , he's a train driver so could be anywhere.

He was sick once he'd calmed down abit, I scooped him up, and he calmed down, then after aminute or so he was sick.

kid Wed 23-Feb-05 20:13:31

I'd definatly phone NHS, its a good sign that he didn't pass out but the fact that he was sick needs to be checked. Even if you phone them and they can reassure you, at least you won't be worrying all night until your DH gets home.
I hate bumps on the head, my 2 have had plenty in their time just to scare the living daylights out of me eachtime!

Caligula Wed 23-Feb-05 20:15:13

How old is he?

joesy Wed 23-Feb-05 20:16:27

Keep a close eye on him over the hour or two. If he gets unusually sleepy or drowsy then I would start worrying. But if he is up and about he will probably be ok.

bambi06 Wed 23-Feb-05 20:17:04

are his eyes looking o;k? and keep him awakle for a bit if you can

Snugs Wed 23-Feb-05 20:18:21

NHS interactive flowchart may help. You click on the relevant answers and it gives advice.

emmatmg Wed 23-Feb-05 20:24:44

Snugs, thats very useful.......all my answers were no so it was a self help thing of cold compress and paracetamol if necessary.

He's in bed now, can't keep him up, he was climbing the stairs as per his usual routine after his milk. Have baby monitor on maximum volume incase he's sick again, all I hear now is him shuffling about with his blankie, getting comfy.

He's 17 months btw.

Snugs Wed 23-Feb-05 20:30:32

The old advice of not letting them go to sleep is now defunct by the way. Current advice is to let them sleep if they want to, but try to wake them at hourly and later 2-hourly intervals. Don't have to wake them completely, just ensure they react to stimulation.

emma - remember to go back and do the flowchart again if anything changes.

emmatmg Wed 23-Feb-05 20:33:00

Phew, that's good too. He really wanted to go to bed. I would have had more tears keeping him up.

I'll go up in a while and see if I can stir him.

He's snoring now.

Snugs Wed 23-Feb-05 20:39:17

Was it the back or front of his head he hit? The front is incredibly tough - the danger spot is at the base of the skull.

The vomiting was probably from shock by the way.

disclaimer ... not medically trained, just 1 DH & 2DSs who seem to think head+hard object=good combination.

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Feb-05 23:19:26

emmatmg, I hope he's ok now and you're all sleeping. Poor him and you.

emmatmg Thu 24-Feb-05 09:35:43

Thanks WWW, he was full of beans this morning and slept well all night.

I discovered a little chunk missing from his tongue earlier[ouch] so I think that was the worst of his injuries.

He's watching Discovery home and leisure with DH and ds2 now so all is well

WideWebWitch Thu 24-Feb-05 21:05:06

Oh good!

trefusis Thu 24-Feb-05 21:08:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now