Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know anything about Peterborough?

(14 Posts)
mummylonglegs Wed 23-Feb-05 10:37:02

Sorry too if I've spelt it wrongly. Dp and I are in London and can bear it no longer especially as we have to get dd's name down for schools now and those near us are truly scary. We've been thinking about moving to Peterborough because it's commutable to London for dp's work and it's only an hour from my mum who's getting on now.

Anyway, would anyone happen to know what kinds of areas might be good to live in given that a bit of commuting will have to happen, we need to get dd into school, neither of us drive so would need to use public transport. Oh, and we're pretty damned broke. We're currently in a 2-bedroomed council flat and would be looking to rent a flat or house, preferably 3 bedrooms but we can manage with 2. If someone could just point me in a few directions then I'll do a bit google search. Just not sure where to start!

coppertop Wed 23-Feb-05 10:47:06

I'm in Peterborough. I'd be more than happy to help, either on here or via CAT. Have you thought about trying to transfer/swap to another council property?

SeaShells Wed 23-Feb-05 10:50:28

My brother recently moved away from Peterborough, were he lived for many years, and commuted daily to London without any problems at all. It was the closest he could afford, housing wise to London, he lived close to the centre, cathedral and station, I thought it was lovelly when I visited.

mummylonglegs Wed 23-Feb-05 11:13:46

Thanks coppertop. Yes, I'm looking into swapping for another council property but it's very hard to get that kind of thing organised. If you would be kind enough to just give me roughly a list of areas that might be ok for us and ones to avoid that would be really helpful! I've just been scouting around and a place called Werrington for instance has a 3-bedroomed house to let for around £600 a month which would be just about manageable for us. Is that kind of average do you think?

coppertop Wed 23-Feb-05 11:22:31

Werrington is probably one of the more expensive areas to rent/buy in but is by no means the most expensive. It's quite a nice area, especially in the older parts.

I think tonight's edition of the local paper is the one with the property guide in it. If you don't already have access to it on-line (can't remember if it is on-line) then I could have a look for you or even post it on?

mummylonglegs Wed 23-Feb-05 11:26:28

Oh, coppertop, that would be so kind of you. So Werrington is an ok kind of area? Sorry to be so damned clueless. Think I'll CAT you anyway.

Thanks again!

mummylonglegs Wed 23-Feb-05 11:29:37

Just sent you a CAT, coppertop. Thanks again. Gotta log off now. Before I go, what's the name of the local newspaper so I can try to locate it online? Maybe if I get a list of locations together that we could afford I could ask you roughly what they're like?

coppertop Wed 23-Feb-05 11:30:47

I've just had a look and it looks as though the property section is online. I can't do links but if you google "peterbouroughtoday" (as one word) you should get the website of the local paper. The property section is on there too.

I'll keep an eye out for your CAT.

mummylonglegs Wed 23-Feb-05 11:31:17

... thought I should qualify why I'm asking so many 'location' questions. The reason is we've spent the last 8 years in a truly awful part of SE London which is racist, violent, very run down. We are SO desperate for a quieter time and for dd to experience something a bit nicer in the first years of her life. So I get paranoid about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

coppertop Wed 23-Feb-05 11:31:42

Okay. More than happy to let you know what the different areas are like.

piffle Wed 23-Feb-05 11:32:02

I used to live in Old Fletton which was really nice at the time.
Also some parts of Gunthorpe are nice too
But there are some less than wonderful areas
Avoid say the Welland I think from memory?
it was a few years ago though!
My brother commuted to London from PBoro daily for a year, theya re due a high speed rail upgrade in the next 3 yrs as well... which means house prices will rocket at some point

mummylonglegs Wed 23-Feb-05 11:32:05

Crossed posts with you, ct. Thanks, I'll google it later.

bye for now!

mummylonglegs Wed 23-Feb-05 22:31:56

Anyone else live in / around a nice bit of Peterborough?

mummylonglegs Thu 24-Feb-05 14:28:09

Just bumping myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now