Talk

Advanced search

RUNNERS!!! what do you run in.. when it's rainy or cold?

(20 Posts)
MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 09:20:25

I'm fairly new to running. This will be my first winter..

I don't want to give up and I'm thinking of cancelling my gym membership so if anything want to increase my running.

but what do I need? I can't afford loads of expensive stuff. Should I make a big investment in a lightweight waterproof jacket? and just wear gloves?

do I need a hat etc

Sorry, I am compeltely clueless.

Thank you

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 11:03:02

bump

NotQuiteCockney Wed 10-Sep-08 11:07:09

You don't need much, particularly if you can warm up before you go out, iyswim.

What part of the country are you in?

I'm in London, and I wear running tights (sometimes), a tshirt, and my cycling jacket (which is v lightweight, more of a windbreaker, really). Oh, and a hat. While running, I often take off the hat and the jacket.

MutantSpaceGoat Wed 10-Sep-08 11:09:25

what nqc said, right down to the cycling jacket bit! except i do wear gloves in winter.

aldi and lidl do good cheapo running stuff and cycle jackets.

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 11:11:35

REally? what are running tights?

Also I really feel the cold

I was thinking windbreaker style jacket would be essential but do you need a 'decent' one to avoid getting excessively sticky with sweat?

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 11:11:36

REally? what are running tights?

Also I really feel the cold

I was thinking windbreaker style jacket would be essential but do you need a 'decent' one to avoid getting excessively sticky with sweat?

LargeHadronCollider Wed 10-Sep-08 11:13:57

Keep an eye on Tchibo every week too - they sometimes have stuff like this at good prices.

MutantSpaceGoat Wed 10-Sep-08 11:14:33

my cycling jacket is a good one but about a million years old. it has zips under teh armpits for 'ventilation'. i only wear it if it is raining otherwise i wear a fleece until i warm up.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 10-Sep-08 11:18:58

My cycling jacket is a pretty pricey one, it's goretex or something, not sure. But I bike all the time, and need it.

A cheap windbreaker would be fine, you can just take it off.

Running tights are just leggings, they're pretty synthetic. You can get fleecy joggers, but you'd melt in them, once you got going.

Are you doing the school run, then running? Or can you warm up at home, and then go out? I'd just do some jumping jacks or running on the spot or whatever, to be warm when I left the house, iyswim, so you don't need loads of clothes to start.

TheHerdNerd Wed 10-Sep-08 11:19:06

Windbreaker, light gloves, a band to cover your ears. Make sure none of it's waterproof, though.

The rule of thumb is that you should dress as if you were going out into 10 - 15 degrees warmer than it actually is. So if it's around 4 - 5 degrees when you leave home, you'll probably want to wear shorts and a VERY light windbreaker - once you get warmed up you'll be amazed at how comfortable you are in cold temps.

Top tip: Don't wear cotton. It hangs on to the sweat and that becomes really unpleasant when it's cold out.

tallbirduk Thu 11-Sep-08 22:29:58

I wear running tights (my knees get cold and then hurt if I don't) - something like this then usually a wicky t-shirt (long and/or short sleeved depending on how cold it is) and maybe a thin fleece on top which almost always comes off by the end of my first kilometer!

I often wear gloves when it's cold, and it's not unusual for me to end up in a short sleeved t-shirt and gloves.

I do own a windproof gilet which I wear when it is VERY cold, I have a couple of Buffs which I find are ace as hats as they can come off and go round your wrist if you warm up too much.

I never ever ever wear a waterproof jacket when running - far too hot - and I find that once you are out in the rain you quickly get used to it and it doesn't bother you till you get home!

tallbirduk Thu 11-Sep-08 22:31:32

Oh, and I second the Aldi & Lidl suggestion - my favourite running tights are from Aldi, they have a zip pocket in the back, have lasted really well and were a third of the price of the big brand stuff.

Also my favourite running socks were from there too.

minorbird Thu 11-Sep-08 22:37:14

Yep Aldis good and decathlon do a basic brand too. Winter running tights and layers is the name of the game. A waterproof running jacket, a fleece and a sweatproof tee. Some nice slim gloves and a hat or headband that lets steam off the top of your head. Also a Hi-vis if your running in the dark or at dusk.

Not looking forward to the chilly weather but rain or shine is my motto. smile

GrimmaTheNome Thu 11-Sep-08 22:46:04

I started 'running' this year (the inverted commas cos I am pitifully slow) ... really don't know if I can brace myself to do it in the rain. I mean, the way its been recently don't your feet squelch never mind the rest of you?

like the look of those buff thingies (plus presumably you tell people you go running in the buff? grin).

better think about splashing out - and in - some of those tights jobbies. Any makes good for short legs?

handlemecarefully Thu 11-Sep-08 22:51:44

I much prefer running in the winter to running in the summer (where the warmer temperatures mean I struggle to 'perform').

I wear jogging bottoms blush, a sleeveless black vest and a waterproof cycling jacket. I invariably take off the cycling jacket about 10 minutes into the run, even on bitterly cold winter mornings

handlemecarefully Thu 11-Sep-08 22:53:04

Actually the only downside is running into strong winds...

minorbird Fri 12-Sep-08 00:05:15

And runners bum. (Needing a number 2 quite urgently!) Discovered this downside when i started doing early morning runs with running club. Sorry TMI. grin

handlemecarefully Fri 12-Sep-08 18:42:28

I always do the business within 10 minutes of getting up in the morning so mercifully have not been affected by that!

tallbirduk Sat 13-Sep-08 20:27:54

I agree about the running in winter thing - easier to dress up and cope with the cold than it is with the warm.

Grimma - no squelchy feet, unless you wade through puddles! Best thing about running in the rain is that people look at you as if you are a nutter , and I LOVE that

minorbird Sun 14-Sep-08 01:35:27

LOL HMC, you're regular! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now