Talk

Advanced search

Freecycle, I have used it for the first time, what is the etiquette?

(20 Posts)
DustyTv Tue 09-Sep-08 20:00:01

I have posted an offer and had 3 replies. I have decided who I would like the items to go to, do I have to email the others to let them know or not.

I cant find anything in the rules or etiquette sections.

thanks

mumdebump Tue 09-Sep-08 20:12:21

I don't think you have to but it would be nice to do so. I usually email to say something like 'thanks for your interest but item is taken; I will keep you as reserve in case of non-collection'.

DustyTv Tue 09-Sep-08 20:19:47

Thanks mumdebump, that sounds good. I will do that.

notcitrus Tue 09-Sep-08 20:29:08

My local freecycle has 'Taken: item blah (location)' posts - although people tend to only bother if they're getting loads of interest and want to shut them up.

It's nice to get a reply saying 'sorry, promised to someone else already', but I don't expect it.

theinsider Tue 09-Sep-08 20:36:12

I've responded to about 10 freecycle ads. Twice I've been contacted about the item, out of the other (approx) 8 times only once has anyone emailed personally to say sorry, item gone, or equivilent. And that was a shoe rack, so I suspect there wasn't that much interest so she could email personally. I've learnt to not expect any personal response, and just check the main listing for an "item taken" notification to uncross my fingers.

MuffinMclay Tue 09-Sep-08 21:23:20

I do the same as mumdebump.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 09-Sep-08 21:34:37

Dusty I would like to send personal e-mails but in some cases I have had 100 or so responses shock - and let's face it some of those responses/requests show a lack of manners - i.e. not so much as a please.

I tend to add a small note after my "item collected" notification, e.g. sorry to all of those others who were unsuccessful or similar.

DustyTv Fri 12-Sep-08 09:25:07

Thanks everyone, I am kinda new to this whole freecycle thing and I didn't want to offend anyone by ignoring them.

Also, I emailed the person who I am giving the items to, but she has not responded, do you usually have to wait a while to respond? Should I give her a few more days and contact her again?

What if she doesn't respond how do I go about offering the items to one of the other people who have asked to be considered.

I realize that not everyone has access to a computer all of the time so should I wait a bit longer?

DustyTv Fri 12-Sep-08 16:35:28

Bump for any knowledgeable freecycler's out there.

Nagapie Fri 12-Sep-08 16:44:11

There isn't really a 'time scale' set on these things - but I suggest possibly contacting her again and saying something to the effect that if you haven't heard from her by the end of the weekend, you will assume she no longer wants the item and then go to No. 2 on the list.

Nagapie Fri 12-Sep-08 16:46:28

I have freecycled a few things (low value, low interest things) and it is quite often that someone will say they want an item and then never respond ...

DustyTv Fri 12-Sep-08 17:45:28

Thanks, I will email her again and give her until next Tuesday, then she will have at least have had a week to respond.

Thanks.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 12-Sep-08 20:22:53

Ime it is quite common (maybe 50% of the time) for people to ask for things and never respond to your e-mails or never turn up. I have no idea why they do this. I think in part it is greed, they immediately think that they want it and request it speedily to beat the rush. Then they realise they didn't want it/couldn't be bothered after all, but don't have the manners to let you know.

It is very rude but that is what some people do. angry You will get to remember some of the less polite freecyclers and avoid offering to them.

DustyTv Fri 12-Sep-08 22:01:35

onepiece, I cant believe people would do that shock

Although the person I have offered the items to has responded to my second email and is picking them up tomorrow. She is really chuffed, she said her boys will love them (wwf videos) so I am happy they are going somewhere where they will be used an enjoyed. grin

onepieceoflollipop Fri 12-Sep-08 22:04:31

Dusty we get some interesting and furious posts on our group (until the mods see them and delete them). Freecyclers berating others for bad manners, not saying please, not showing up, threatening to boycott freecycle and send stuff to charity shop, being ungrateful etc etc.

I have no idea why it attracts such unsuitable people! grin I don't think it is just our group, I have read similar stories on here.

DustyTv Mon 15-Sep-08 20:33:28

I put a wanted on freecycle a couple of days ago and someone has already responded, I was wondering if I should get her a thank you card and maybe a bottle of wine or something to show my appreciation.

I asked for a dog kennel and she responded with a kennel and run that I can have. I don't know the etiquette regarding this, but it seems too generous to not at least take a thank you card. What do you think?

boogeek Mon 15-Sep-08 20:43:50

Dusty: I think that would be a lovely thing to do. I don't expect anything but have been given small tokens in exchange for things I have freecycled - excess bulbs from people's gardens, plants they have divided, a pot of jam. It always gives warm fuzzies ;)
Particularly with a big item that has been given in reponse to a wanted rather than offered, I think that would be really nice.

cmotdibbler Mon 15-Sep-08 20:48:20

The only time that I've had a gift was when I loaned a Freecycler a chair for a couple of months to fill a particular need. Otherwise I'd be embarrassed to accept anything more than a homemade cake/jar of jam.

A really nice email after collecting would be more than enough - I really appreciate those

DustyTv Mon 15-Sep-08 20:52:11

oooh so how about a thank you card and a home made lemon drizzle cake (curtesey of Mars's recipe) I may have to hide it from DH though cos he loves em' lol.

Do you think that would be ok??

boogeek Mon 15-Sep-08 21:02:18

I think that would be just perfect and make the kind lady very happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now