Talk

Advanced search

anyone else started thinking about . . . . . . . . . (wait for it) . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(25 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 19:56:40

Christmas??

Or am I getting a bit ahead of myself thinking about taking a small amount out of my budget each week & buying something each week for someone?

TheArmadillo Tue 09-Sep-08 19:57:22

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

<runs away screaming>

tortoise Tue 09-Sep-08 19:58:18

That is my plan too.
The only way i can see me affording anything.
Will start once DD2 goes to school full time in about 3 weeks!
Also have DS2's birthday on the 10th Oct to buy for.

coppertop Tue 09-Sep-08 19:58:41

<rushes to click on the 'Hide this thread' button>

Lizzylou Tue 09-Sep-08 19:59:40

Better to budget! Otherwise it's just a massive pain and you end up stressed.

I've got a few bits for the boys when I've spotted a bargain ie. when Woolies had the Playmobil plane at half price.

Mind you, I do then end up forgetting that I've got stuff!

BarcodeZebra Tue 09-Sep-08 19:59:43

I work in the book trade. We've been thinking about Christmas for months now.

It's why I HATE it.

trumpetgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 20:01:58

I usually start buying stuff now. But for the last couple of years I have either lost all the stuff I started building up, or simply forgotten about it!
So, this year I'm gonna do the mad last minute rush thing!

SammyK Tue 09-Sep-08 20:02:46

Yes I have grin I have several presents wrapped up and put away, I buy one each week and wrap it, means I can relax in December while everyone else is stressing out.

MaureenMLove Tue 09-Sep-08 20:03:15

Smug of Smugville here! I started a Christmas club with my neighbour in November last year! Been religiously putting a bit aside every month. Not a lot, on a monthly basis, but it's added up nicely. I will get a cheque on 1st December and shop, shop, shop! grin

Nappyzoneneedssleep Tue 09-Sep-08 20:04:04

we went to toys r hell tonight and i started thinking .........

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 20:06:51

pmsl TheArmadillo & coppertop!! & trumpetgirl!! you actually want to do the 'headless chicken' thing?!

SammyK, I wish I was that organised! Thought I was doing well starting thinking about it now! & Maureen, that's my plan for next year. Since I'm actually feeling like this year will be relaxed by starting now!

I just wondered whether anyone was so organised as to actually start early

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 20:07:52

Nappyzone, ToysRHell hey? I love that place!! I'm usually the grown up who presses all the singing toys then giggles like a child when they sing to me grin blush

SalBySea Tue 09-Sep-08 20:08:57

yip smile I usually buy presents for people between now and end nov. I cant wait, first chirstmas in our own place, first christmas as a wife, last christmas as just the 2 of us (baby due in april)

bring it on grin

nickytwotimes Tue 09-Sep-08 20:09:29

We start saving at the end of August every year, then we don't need to splurge. I prefer to do the buying in November though. Feels nicer. You can tell I've only got 1 kid, right, lol!

JuneBugJen Tue 09-Sep-08 20:10:02

Yes (ick)

Bought lots of cheap stuff in AUGUST (OMG!) from Cath Kidston sale to send to folks in Canada. They still think all that crap is great.

SammyK Tue 09-Sep-08 20:11:34

ToysRHell is only a pleasant experience when your little darlings can be strapped in a pushchair, or you can leave them with nana and sneak in there without them! grin

Nappyzoneneedssleep Tue 09-Sep-08 20:12:13

lucy my dh was like that tonight - he then persisted on arguing with me that our nearly 2 year old needs the ultimate rail and motor thomas deluxe set! i lost! I give up!

WingsofaAngel Tue 09-Sep-08 20:14:01

I got a couple of things the other day. Something for ds1 which was reduced.
I find it better to budget that way.

kittywise Tue 09-Sep-08 20:14:54

Our local oxfam had christmas cards in the window when I went passed today sad

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 20:15:47

SalBySea, that was me the year before last! We were very poor n had a $hit tip for a house because of work still happening to it, but it was brill!! Enjoy the peace, it'll not last grin but you will get to play with lots of toys next year

Is anyone making anything? Just out of interest, as I was thinking about making some bits for family

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 20:17:30

needs? the ultimate rail & motor thomas deluxe set!! my oh would love him! he wants a scalextrix (sp?), for our lo, of course hmm

Eddas Tue 09-Sep-08 20:19:32

<<<<whispers>>>>>> i told you people don't like talking about it <<<shakes head>>>grin

as you've probably gathered by now i've startedblushgrin I've been saving anyway by setting up an e-savings account and direct debiting a set amount over each month [smug git emoticon]grin

This'll make you all laugh, i've even bought ds's birthday presents already and it's not til aprilblushgrin

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 20:31:17

wow Eddas! Talk about organised! My lo's is January . . . best get to the shops grin

notcitrus Tue 09-Sep-08 20:35:35

I'm thinking about it because of organising who will be where. We always have BIL1+SIL1, me and MrNC, and FIL+MIL together somewhere, often with SIL2.

We should have plenty of room assuming our loft conversion is done by then (should have been done end July, still not watertight...).
So the provisional plan is they all come to us.
However since last year, SIL1 and SIL2 have had babies and mine is due any minute!

I think having them all come to me, butcher delivering food, and generally relaxing, is the best solution... None of us take presents seriously - we tend to have lists on Amazon and MIL loves buying random stuff from charity shops/markets, on the grounds that we get to unwrap stuff and it's a surprise.

Actually we used to circulate lists by email and then drink enough at dinner that we'd have forgotten what we asked for by the time we unwrapped them, but we're a bit more measured now!

PinkTulips Tue 09-Sep-08 20:44:42

am giving myself til mid october to get all the baby stuff as when dd was born in jan i didn't have a thing as we'd never gotton around to picking up stuff, this baby is due the beginning of feb and any money we have after xmas will be needed for dd's birthday.

mid october i'll go on a spree and have 90% of xmas stuff bought by mid november

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now