Talk

Advanced search

Life and other "crisis pregnancy centres" - please be aware they are BIASED and will not offer a full range of advice

(12 Posts)
stripeymama Mon 08-Sep-08 19:31:05

I feel very strongly about this as I believe every woman has an absolute right to unbiased, impartial, accurate advice on their options when faced with an unplanned pregnancy.

These pro-life organisations can be hard to identify as they do not generally market themselves as such. Key words/phrases include "crisis pregnancy centre" and "post abortion counselling/support".

Their concern with "saving the lives of unborn children" overrides their concern for the mother's best interests.

Please think carefully when directing anybody to such organisations for help, as there are impartial organisations such as fpa and Brooke Advisory Centres, or the local GU clinic.

notcitrus Mon 08-Sep-08 19:36:01

Hear hear. Every time I go through Oxford Circus I'm annoyed that I don't have a sticker with me to add to the 'Life' ad to say 'Please note: LIFE are totally anti-abortion'.

It's the fact that they advertise themselves as impartial that really hacks me off.

ParCark Mon 08-Sep-08 19:47:35

Message withdrawn

stripeymama Mon 08-Sep-08 20:00:26

Oh no parcark it isn't meant as a go at you at all! That just illustrates my point - that they can be hard to spot.

"Post abortion counselling" is indeed a valuable service, but does tend to be offered mainly by pro-life groups. It should be offered as standard follow-up care after an abortion (whether private or NHS), not as a means to push any agenda. I'd say it is a classic phrase, not exclusive but if taken with other phrases/signs (ie, a name like 'Life'!) then indicative.

BitOfFun Mon 08-Sep-08 20:04:43

It really annoys me that they don't declare their agenda openly. It's not like a pro-choice group is going to hassle you if you decide to keep the baby, but I can only imagine the insidious guilt-trips women get fed at these places if they want to consider termination. I have heard some real horror stories...angry

theSuburbanDryad Mon 08-Sep-08 20:07:41

Fantastic thread stripeymama. If you are pro-life then fine, but at least have the courage and decency to declare your interests openly!

stripeymama Mon 08-Sep-08 20:09:03

Well I know wikipedia is hardly impartial... and also that is mainly focussing on America, but still its quite nasty really. It does give some insight into what's behind all their caring smiles.

stripeymama Mon 08-Sep-08 20:11:00

And as I have heard said, these same people are also anti-sex education, anti-contraception, anti-welfare state.... in short, they do not support policies and strategies that actually might address the root causes of unwanted pregnancies.

theSuburbanDryad Mon 08-Sep-08 20:12:37

Parts of the US are so entangled with the far-right Christian groups that in some states the only available drug/alcohol counselling is run by religious organisations.

stripeymama Mon 08-Sep-08 20:28:31

Yes that doesn't surprise me at all. Unfortunately these organisations are filling the gap left by insufficient funding for impartial alternatives.

wartypants Mon 08-Sep-08 20:39:53

Yes I agree totally. They are pedalling guilt to women who approach them in good faith. These wankers go as far as to say abortion is as bad as paedophilia angry angry angry

theSuburbanDryad Tue 09-Sep-08 07:31:43

Hmm - to be far to the "Life League" they are at least upfront and open about what they are: A pro-life charity. Life and other "pregnancy counselling centres" aren't - they claim to be handing out free advice when in reality what they're doing is - as you say, warty - pedalling guilt to pregnant, vulnerable women in dire need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now