KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 17:22:09

Was in 183something?

Was this when slaves were set free?

Or did it carry on after that?

It was later in America wasn't it?

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 17:27:23

august 1st 1834slavery abolished in british empire which jamaica was a part of

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 17:42:12

Thanks - it is complicated - that seems to suggestt here were slave there much later than that

minorbird Sun 07-Sep-08 17:48:04

Do you mean the maroons? Jamaican slaves who rebelled and fought off the British Conolists in the 18th century? They were rebels who were freed long before the abolition of the slave trade.

In england it was 1772 that slavery became illegal and then later the trading of slaves over the atlantic passage, and eventually America, north first and then south. ( I was reading up on it recently) smile

stitch Sun 07-Sep-08 17:49:53

the maroons were either freed, or escaped. they lived in their own colonies, but for some reason, ended up helping capture escaped slaves in the early part of the 19th century.
i think that slave trade being abolished wasnt the same thihng as aboloshing the ownership of slaves. iyswim

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 18:10:00

So what am I looking for then emancipation?

minorbird Sun 07-Sep-08 18:20:25

Yes, if you want to know when slavery ended worldwide and not just in JA as the thread title suggests.

In the USA, emancipation still did not completely end slavery, as the government did not have power over ALL of the states and could only enforce it on those it did. It was the 13th amendment in 1865 which eventually outlawed slavery in the whole of the US. smile

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 19:59:57

Nope confused still

DD is researching her family tree & we are back to the late 1800's with her great grandparents

I am trying to find out if black people born in Jamaica as late as 1860(ish) are likely to have been slaves or if it would have been the generation before that

I think it would have been the generation before that but I need to deal with it asap - DH denys that any black people who lived in Jamaica would ever have been slaves.....I think he is wrong but I need to know how close the history we are talking about is

Psychobabble Sun 07-Sep-08 20:21:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 20:25:05

It seems to be 1934 - abolished slavery

So that would be DD's great-great grandparents

That's a sobering thought

Psychobabble Sun 07-Sep-08 20:25:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 20:34:43

I envisage a tricky conversation or 2

minorbird Sun 07-Sep-08 22:32:25

Yes it is pretty complicated isn't it! Glad you've figured it out! It's great that you can work out your DD family tree, must be really interesting stuff. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now