Talk

Advanced search

Sorry, bit boring this Q about velcro

(9 Posts)
albert Tue 22-Feb-05 09:48:51

The velcro on one of DSs school shoes has stopped working! Didn't know that could happen did you? I've trimmed the fuzzy side but it still won't hook onto the other bit. Any ideas? I really don't want to buy him yet another pair of shoes as these ones are still in pretty good shape.

makealist Tue 22-Feb-05 09:53:20

Is it because its full of hair / fluff? Thats what happens to my ds2 shoes and i comb the velcro with the "nit comb" Oh Yuk, I know but it works, amazing how much crap gets stuck in it.

Snugs Tue 22-Feb-05 09:53:42

I find with DS's shoes that it is usually bits of grass etc that has stuck to the velcro (we take a shortcut over a field) so I have an old small comb that I use to clean it all back out again.

Snugs Tue 22-Feb-05 09:54:23

ooh - snap makealist - glad I'm not the only one who combs shoes

Enid Tue 22-Feb-05 09:55:28

Yes, I nit comb shoes and dd1s jacket too

yoyo Tue 22-Feb-05 10:06:26

I wouldn't trim the velcro as it works on a "hook and eye" principle. I use a comb too.

LIZS Tue 22-Feb-05 10:19:10

I use one of those DeFuzzit combs and then sellotape to catch any bits of hair and fluff left. You could buy some Stick n Sew Velcro to replace the non functioning bit if it is past salvaging but may not last as long.

Davros Tue 22-Feb-05 10:39:36

If nothing works, try replacing the velcro, not the shoes! Even a bodge job would be worth trying before getting new shoes. Or wrap some of that brown packing tape round the whole shoe each morning before he goes to school

albert Tue 22-Feb-05 10:53:44

Ooh, better go and buy a nit comb then although I rather like the idea of taping DS into his shoes each day with parcel tape!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now