Talk

Advanced search

Question for those who have home alarm systems

(14 Posts)
Earlybird Sun 07-Sep-08 01:28:23

Do you set the alarm at night when you and the dc are home alone without dh/dp?

I don't, but often wonder if I'm being foolish. Don't live in a high crime area, btw.

BitOfFun Sun 07-Sep-08 01:39:09

Only if I've got an expensive car in the drive wink

S1ur Sun 07-Sep-08 01:41:27

nope

Portofino Sun 07-Sep-08 07:22:37

We've got one and never switch in on. Probably should as I worry it might affect insurance if anything happened.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 07-Sep-08 07:25:50

Yes, set it every night whether he's here or not. We are rural, so not high crime at all, but two lots of friends have been burgled here while they were asleep upstairs (and one lot, computer got nicked from the baby's room while she was asleep there!).

Earlybird Sun 07-Sep-08 14:41:13

We've got quite a good 'neighbourhood watch' network, and receive emails when there are burglaries in the area. There have been several recently a couple of miles from here, but none in the immediate area.

I've no reason to be scared, but this is our first house. We've always had flats before (upper floor ones at that), so when there was ever an odd noise, it didn't phase me. But now we're in a detached house, and as a lone parent I wonder if I am foolish not to set the alarm at night.

MaureenMLove Sun 07-Sep-08 15:23:46

Portofino, does your insurance company know you've got an alarm? If you, then you shuld use it. It may well effect a claim.

Earlybird. Can you isolate zones on your alarm? If so, why not just set downstairs. If you've got it, you may as well protect yourself as much as you can.

shhhh Sun 07-Sep-08 19:00:08

isn't an alarm for setting when most vunerable..? hmm

Ours is set whenever we leave the home and every night whether dh is home or not...Thats what its for..!

Can't understand why not..? BTW we are not a high crime area but do it for security...

crokky Sun 07-Sep-08 19:02:40

Usually insurance companies say if you have put that you have an alarm, but it was not switched on at the time of the burglary, you have to pay a bigger excess. You can still claim.

Earlybird Sun 07-Sep-08 19:05:39

I always set the alarm when I leave the house, just not when we're home.

Don't think I can isolate zones.

Twiglett Sun 07-Sep-08 19:09:28

nope never set it when in the house

Uriel Sun 07-Sep-08 19:14:16

Yep. Set it every night and obviously when out.

Hulababy Sun 07-Sep-08 19:15:29

Yes.

Our alarm is set every night when we go to bed. We set it to cover the ground floor (living room, etc on top 2 floors) and doors. If DH is out in an evening I set it once it starts getting later/dark.

It always goes on when we go out.

Not in high crime area, but I feel more secure with it on. Know of people who have been burgled whilst in bed/in house too.

shhhh Sun 07-Sep-08 19:20:47

ah never thought about zones that can't be isolated...

Ours you can isolate, I only set it for the ground floor when home. 2nd and 3rd floor when im home imo should be ok....unless they have a ladder hmm grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now