Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE ALWAYS USE STRAPS - Saw awful accident with newborn not strapped in

(56 Posts)
hotpotmama Fri 05-Sep-08 17:05:36

On holiday abroad,couple pushing a pram, the pram wheel got stuck on a step and the baby flew out of the pram and hit the ground head first. Was horrible and haunted me the rest of my holiday sad

So please please strap your babies in, I haven't on the odd occasion but am doing it religiously after seeing that.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 05-Sep-08 17:06:32

[covers eyes]

poor poor baby

chapstickchick Fri 05-Sep-08 17:25:03

omg how awfulsad

hotpotmama Fri 05-Sep-08 17:35:23

Yes it was one of the worst things I have seen. It was so little and just flew out. Made me feel sick. Worst thing was not knowing if it was ok, kept thinking about it all holiday and even now, hoping to god it was ok.

cargirl Fri 05-Sep-08 17:38:12

At our school mum had newborn baby in maxi-cosi on zapp frame. Hung bags on handles, zapp tipped over baby fell out of car seat because he wasn't strapped in.

fortunately it was more of a roll out of the car seat so not from a great height and he seems okay.

Mercy Fri 05-Sep-08 17:40:50

Good advice hotpot.

WHen my dd was tiny I was in the high street when a woman ran out of a shop followed by 2 ohter people.

The woman was a shoplifter and barged into my pram and dd was almost tipped out.

I always strapped her in after that.

francagoestohollywood Fri 05-Sep-08 17:49:52

how awful!
were you in Italy by any chance hotpot? Since we moved back to Italy I noticed that the majority of children aren't strapped in, I'm always shock

ScottishMummy Fri 05-Sep-08 17:52:38

my zapp spontaneously tipped over with baby in maxicosi.nothing attached to handle.terrifying

hotpotmama Fri 05-Sep-08 17:53:16

No France. I couldn't believe how easily it fell out. Wasn't even a big judder of the wheel just hit the step.

Was horrendous. Just remember the mother sat in the restaurant cradling him/her afterwards and crying. It was the dad pushing the pram and she didn't realise what had happened.

Pixel Sat 06-Sep-08 17:47:33

According to my mum, when I was six weeks old my cousin bounced my pram down the kerb and I flew out into the road, so a very lucky escape there. My children were always strapped in and on more than one occasion I've been very glad of it.

bloomingfedup Sat 06-Sep-08 18:44:34

I was getting off the bus and my pram tipped up, luckily was one of the occassions I had strapped DD in. I always strap babies in now.blush

shhhh Sun 07-Sep-08 19:35:20

shock at the amount of people who don't strap their lo's in at time..can't understand why..?

I have always strapped dd and ds in....remember a friend's dh not strapping their dd into one of those old fashioned sc ones..her hubby got the pram stuck on the step, out went their dd..on her christening day sad.

ScottishMummy Sun 07-Sep-08 22:45:15

i ^always strap in LO,abd then check again just to be sure

thumbwitch Sun 07-Sep-08 22:48:16

have always strapped DS in and have berated DH soundly for not strapping him in on odd occasions - he doesn't ever forget now.

melpomene Sun 07-Sep-08 23:33:31

I got complacent about strapping dd2 in the buggy when she was 2 yo because she was getting so big. Then one day after crossing a road the buggy tipped over as we went up over the kerb and she fell out and cut her face blush. She wasn't badly hurt, but there was lots of blood.

3littlefrogs Sun 07-Sep-08 23:44:44

I stopped at a pedestrian crossing one day, man pushing buggy, toddler fell out onto his face in the middle of the road. The man picked the child up, shoved him back in the buggy, and carried on up the street, the child STILL not strapped in!

LyraSilvertongue Sun 07-Sep-08 23:50:24

I learned this the hard way too. DS2 was just 3 and asleep in the buggy, not strapped in. I went down a big step coming out of a shop and he toppled out, still asleep, and hit the ground head first. Poor thing was so shocked to find himself headbutting the pavement in his sleep.
<cringes at the memory>

S1ur Sun 07-Sep-08 23:56:13

Yes it is surprising how easy it is to hurt children by not being strapped in.

My dd fall out once (3) and grazed knees - (well she was older and able to put her hands out to stop head impact).

But she reminds me to this day to fasten ds in, she is now four.

tbh she wasn't hurt much but surprised, as was I and it stuck with her.

FAQ Mon 08-Sep-08 00:01:19

but how are you supposed to strap a baby into a carrycot on a pram that has no straps ?? (my Hauck Inifity didn't have straps in the carrycot part...)

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 00:04:21

um, the walking harness/reins are designed to fit any size baby and they have attachments to allow you to harness the baby to the d-rings on the pram.

hatrick Mon 08-Sep-08 00:05:19

Message withdrawn

FAQ Mon 08-Sep-08 00:06:47

no - the carry cot on the Hauck has no straps (and I'm pretty sure nowhere to attach straps onto either) - there's just the mattress, it's only when you put the pushchair bit on when they're able to sit upright a little you have the option of straps.

My mammas and pappas pram for DS2 didn't have straps in the pram either.

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 00:11:08

really? I thought they had to- or it doesn't reach British Standards.

FAQ Mon 08-Sep-08 00:15:31

don't remember seeing straps inside any of the carrycots when I went to Kiddicare to choose DS3's pram/pushchair.

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 00:18:50

were they hidden beneath the mattress?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now