Talk

Advanced search

Girl's 1948 outfit needed - help!

(12 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 04-Sep-08 22:32:07

At the end of September DD (age 6) will need an outfit for the school's birthday celebrations. All the children need to go dressed in the type of clothes worn in 1948. I think DD would prefer a dress.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also, any simple patterns - friend's mum may be able to make the dresses?

Or, any online stores selling suitable attire?

Thanks for any help!

Hulababy Fri 05-Sep-08 07:55:31

BUMP

SaintGeorge Fri 05-Sep-08 09:19:20

At a guess I would say home made from adult cast offs, at the very least they would be 2nd hand. Immediate post war period so money tight and clothing still on ration I think.

I found this but it is a US site. Might give you some ideas though.

Hulababy Fri 05-Sep-08 17:55:52

Thanks.

School dress up days are fab aren't they! hmm

SaintGeorge Fri 05-Sep-08 18:06:03

Hiya Hula.

I am so lucky, our school doesn't do 'theme days'. The worst I have to cope with is Red Nose day.

<<happy skip>>

I've really jinxed myself now haven't I?

Hulababy Fri 05-Sep-08 18:07:52

Ours normally doesn't either; this one is a special one.

Have you seen my second thread on this topic? I need an outfit too as it is one of the days I help out, and everyone is school that day needs to be dressed up!

RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 18:10:34

Could you 'knock up' one of these on your sewing machine?grinwww.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/costume/girls/utility_coat/index.html

RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 18:11:28

or this www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/costume/girls/Party%20Dress/index.html
sweet story.

Could you cobble together a few old smock type sundresses?

PandaG Fri 05-Sep-08 18:14:34

HUla - DS's class dressed up as WW2 children recently, several of the girls wore school summer dresses, as they hit the plain or small print dresses that the guidelines sent home suggested. DD has several of said summer dresses in red or blue, I could lend you one if you like? Also a hand knit cardi. Add hair in plaits with ribbon bows and that would do I would think

Hulababy Mon 08-Sep-08 18:16:21

Thanks - DD tring to avid school uniform though, too similr to her normal school wear.

Me and a friend have won a pattern, which we are hoping her mum will be back from her trip to make in time. No chance I can!

Here - from late 1940s.

Just need material now.

pushchair Mon 08-Sep-08 18:18:34

Mary jane shoes or Plimsolls! Berets.

Hulababy Fri 26-Sep-08 20:05:18

Thanks all for help. Day was today and it was really good fun. Photo of us both on my profile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now