Talk

Advanced search

Could you put a toddler bed under a cabin bed to make wee bunks?

(12 Posts)
zippy539 Mon 21-Feb-05 14:32:21

Title says it all really. DD (1.7) needs to come out of her cot which we have got squeezed into v small bedroom alongside DS's toddler bed - but there just isn't room for two single beds. I'm reluctant to go for proper bunk beds because, though DS(3.5) could manage them, DD is a climbing machine and it would be impossible to stop her climbing to the top bunk. I was wondering about a mid height cabin bed with a very low toddler bed beneath it. Has anyone tried this?

geekgrrl Mon 21-Feb-05 14:40:30

hi zippy we did try and it didn't work out, it ended up being really pretty cramped and dd2 was not impressed. We then upgraded the bed to a proper bunk, to be honest there is not much height difference in it, just enough to make the bottom bed more spacious. With regards to falling off there's not much difference - both are dangerous for a small child to fall out of.

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Feb-05 14:41:47

Have you looked at this make? We've got one of their beds, with the intention of getting a low one underneath (the right-angle combination), but you could possibly get their truckle bed and slide it under the low mid-height bed.

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Feb-05 14:42:51

BTW, why does your dd need to come out of her cot this early? Ds only graduated from his at 3.5 and dd is still in hers at 2.2.

suzywong Mon 21-Feb-05 14:46:40

please say it's possible, I'll be having to do that in 8 months time

zippy539 Mon 21-Feb-05 14:52:13

Thanks Geekgrrl and prettycandles.

Geekgrrl - hmm, I did wonder if it would be a bit of a squash. I think the lower bed would practically have to be on the floor..

prettycandles - I can't get the link to work but is that the company that do the sort of combi range? We're having to move her because a) she's climbing out of her cot and b)the cot is beginning to fall apart after DH dismantled it then tried to put it together again with no instructions and decided the design was obviously 'wrong' so sawed a bit off it to make it fit...

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Feb-05 14:54:36

ROFL! Men!

I'll try to find another link.

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Feb-05 14:57:52

Try this:

Flexa

zippy539 Mon 21-Feb-05 15:02:23

Thanks prettycandles - dd just waking up from nap so will check that out asap!

SoupDragon Mon 21-Feb-05 15:41:52

DS1 sometimes sleeps under DS2s cabin bed on just a single mattress. Obviously it's not a permanent arrangement but it would tide you over nicely until you think bunk beds are a safe option.

Fennel Mon 21-Feb-05 16:06:03

or you could put the cot mattress on the floor at night (where the cot is now) and stand it on its side in the daytime to make room for moving/playing?

my dds prefer sleeping on the floor than in their beds anyway.

zippy539 Tue 22-Feb-05 14:55:57

Thanks Soupy and Fennel. I wondered about the mattress under the cabin bed option - or about getting DH to saw the legs off DS's current toddler bed so DD would have more room under there (seen as he's handy with a saw ).

Is there any health/safety reason why you can't just sleep on a mattress? (I did it for years).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now