Talk

Advanced search

It's daft to take things that are precious to you on a night out when you're going to drink a lot and not be capable of properly looking after your possessions - discuss

(12 Posts)
MadreInglese Thu 04-Sep-08 11:29:51

On a thread earlier I was talking about my sister losing her phone when out drunk, and I've been thinking about the responses I had.

I've always felt that your possessions are your responsibility, and being a bit drunk doesn't mean the responsibility is no longer yours. You lose something because you haven't kept it safe (something being stolen is different IMO as you can't always prevent this) and you should take steps to prevent things being lost.

Am I dull and boring and over sensible naive in thinking this?

(not a dig at any other poster btw, I'm just interested in what people think)

(and I realise personal safety is a related issue too)

sinkingfast Thu 04-Sep-08 11:30:54

Can you link to the thread?

Fimbo Thu 04-Sep-08 11:30:55

I don't drunk, so doesn't apply to me

AMumInScotland Thu 04-Sep-08 11:32:39

Well, if you do go out and get too drunk to look after yourself or your possessions, then you have to accept that it is your responsibility and not anyone else's. I haven't read your other thread, but if she got drunk assuming that it was somehow everyone else's responsibilty to look after her, then she was definitely daft.

MadreInglese Thu 04-Sep-08 11:32:46

I think it's the 'oh well, she lost it, it wasn't her fault' attitude that puzzles me, as if losing something when you're drunk is just what happens

I dunno, maybe I need to lighten up smile

Uriel Thu 04-Sep-08 12:08:58

Agree, madre. But then I'm old sensible the same. grin

PortAndLemon Thu 04-Sep-08 12:15:31

Yes, in general. But it's also daft not to have a phone with you if you're going out for a big night out so that you wind up drunk, miles from home, and getting into an unlicensed minicab.

And I've lost (quite possibly pickpocketed, but can't prove it) more phones when sober (two) than when drunk (none). Although I spend more of my life sober than drunk, so that's probably not statistically significant.

ParCark Thu 04-Sep-08 12:21:08

Message withdrawn

ParCark Thu 04-Sep-08 12:24:53

Message withdrawn

Tigerschick Thu 04-Sep-08 12:30:01

I think that some of the problem stems from wanting to look nice without thinking about how you are going to manage through the evening. I remember last time I went out in town at night I was surprised to see how many women were holding a little purse and their phone in their hand - not in a bag which would be less likely to be dropped/forgotten.

I agree that you are responsible for your own actions and if you lose something when you are drunk then it is your fault for not taking care of it.
This does not mean that, if someone wants to take advantage of your diminished responsibility then this is your fault too ... but we are talking about losing things not having things stolen, or anything worse.
Well, that's all IMVHO anyway.

Tigerschick Thu 04-Sep-08 12:30:30

I think that some of the problem stems from wanting to look nice without thinking about how you are going to manage through the evening. I remember last time I went out in town at night I was surprised to see how many women were holding a little purse and their phone in their hand - not in a bag which would be less likely to be dropped/forgotten.

I agree that you are responsible for your own actions and if you lose something when you are drunk then it is your fault for not taking care of it.
This does not mean that, if someone wants to take advantage of your diminished responsibility then this is your fault too ... but we are talking about losing things not having things stolen, or anything worse.
Well, that's all IMVHO anyway.

Tigerschick Thu 04-Sep-08 12:33:14

Oh Bum!

Just wanted to add - my DB was really cross with himself when his coat was stolen from a bar when he was drunk. It had his phone, ipod, keys etc in it. He was cross with himself because, he said, he wouldn't have left his coat unattended if he'd been sober ... didn't excuse the sod who stole it but DB being drunk meant that an opportunity presented itself that wouldn't have been there otherwise - at least that's how DB saw it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now