Talk

Advanced search

So there are still some nice honest people in the world...

(26 Posts)
MadreInglese Thu 04-Sep-08 10:01:42

My sister lost her phone last weekend while a little trollied in a nightclub, she was gutted (and daft for taking it out but she's only young!) as it's quite high spec and was expensive, and had all her numbers in it, loads of photos, etc.

She got a call yesterday - someone had handed it in to a phone shop in town and she collected it last night.

It's sad that it's probably an unusual occurance to get back a lost phone, but isn't it nice when you realise there are still some honest bods out there? smile

<usually cynical old bugger>

nailpolish Thu 04-Sep-08 10:03:18

thats laovely

why is it daft to take your phone on a night out, btw? could be very handy i fyou were stranded in the middle of town or wahtever

id encourage a young person to take their phone if they are going to be out late

Monkeytrousers Thu 04-Sep-08 10:03:36

Well that is good - but she should take it out with her, especially if she's going to get trollied. Women v vulnerable when trollied.

Monkeytrousers Thu 04-Sep-08 10:04:13

oh x post Naily

MadreInglese Thu 04-Sep-08 10:08:02

well, daft for not properly keeping an eye on it really

I keep suggesting she buys a cheapy PAYG handset, or gets a nice bag with a long strap so she has it on her person - she looks at me as if I've suggested shaving her head (well there is over a decade between us!)

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 10:09:57

I've lost 2 phones and had neither of them returned. DH left one on a train and the person who found it phoned the "home" number, got our address and posted it back at their own expense!

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 10:11:11

Daft not to keep an eye on it?? Do you watch your phone every single second? It's not difficult to lose a phone, especially as they get sleeker and slimmer.

MadreInglese Thu 04-Sep-08 10:14:49

No, not every single second but I make sure my bag is near me always in a pub or club (esp if it was a pricey phone) or I take a good handbag if it's going to be a heavy night out (ie one with a strap)

nailpolish Thu 04-Sep-08 10:16:50

i wouldnt be seen dead with a bag with a strap on a night out blush

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 10:17:34

She lost the phone, it wasn't stolen from her bag. Keeping her bag near her at all times won't have helped.

prettybird Thu 04-Sep-08 10:18:36

I found a phone once outside ToysRUs and rang a number on it (lloed like husband or sometihng) and told them I was handing it in to the Reception bit at ToysRus.

I also lost a (new! blush) phone on the London Undergrund once - it was handed in at the next station!

CourtneyLush Thu 04-Sep-08 10:20:39

We get quite a lot of phones (and blackberry's) handed in at work, it's amazing how many people don't bother to collect them though.

MadreInglese Thu 04-Sep-08 10:24:48

<sigh>

She lost it because she was careless and wasn't properly looking after it because she was trollied. It could have fallen out of her bag, someone could have pinched it then dumped it, she could have left it on a table or in a booth or on the bar or in the loo (and there are loads of nice evening bags with straps btw wink)

Anyway, it doesn't matter how neurotic I am about keeping my bag near me, or how she lost her phone, my point was someone was honest enough to hand it in and I thought that was nice

(is it a full moon or something?)

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 10:27:52

Yes, it is nice that someone handed it in. It was not "daft" that she lost it. It happens. I've lost 2 and I wasn't trollied either time.

No, it's not a full moon hmm

MadreInglese Thu 04-Sep-08 10:31:51

IMO it is daft to take things that are precious to you out on a night in town when you're going to drink a lot and not be capable of properly looking after your possessions.

Monkeytrousers Thu 04-Sep-08 11:23:51

Well you should be criticising her for getting trollied not losing her phone.

Sorry, but put a phone is a phone is a phone. It's just a phone. Think that's all people are saying.

Notalone Fri 05-Sep-08 17:59:35

I could have been her a few years ago. Was in a club and it was my first proper night out after having DS. I dropped my phone at the bar and was chased by a lovely not so ugly man who gave it back to me. He got a kiss on the cheek as a result blush

On the flip side I found a phone once in a huge kids play area when DS was playing. I found "mum" on it and called her to explain I had found the phone. Turned out it belonged to her 15 year old DS who had once suffered a brain injury and needed to be contactable at all times. She gave me his description and luckily he was still there so I was able to get it back to him.

And on the other side I worked with a 21 year old who used to go clubbing all the time. She was bragging that she had found a phone and ignored all the calls from "home". Not only that but she received a text on it from a man asking her if she fancied meeting for a meal so she said yes then half an hour after they were supposed to meet she texted him to say did he really think she was going to turn up when he is so ugly etc etc. Told her she was a nasty cow but she still found it amusing angry

MarkStretch Fri 05-Sep-08 18:04:36

I lost my phone on a train once and it went all the way to Edinburgh. They put it on another train back though and I went and picked it up from my local station smile

However, my poor friend who's a single mum with 2 dc's has been trying to save money recently and decided to sell her car and use more buses. So she put a For Sale sign in it last night, got up this morning and some bastard had nicked it, from OUTSIDE her house on her driveway angry

Notalone Fri 05-Sep-08 18:12:39

Lol Markstretch - hope it enjoyed its scenic journey of the UK!!

WHY would you want a for sale sign though? Probably a drunken spur of the moment thing - it is probably residing in some teenagers bedroom as we post

chapstickchick Fri 05-Sep-08 18:17:40

my ds aged 7 begged and pleaded for a phone dh gave him his shock ds lost it nd policemn found it!!! we got it back straight away!!!

MarkStretch Fri 05-Sep-08 19:03:45

Er, no they stole her CAR!

Notalone Sat 06-Sep-08 09:48:00

They stole her car?? shock Bastards

SammyK Sat 06-Sep-08 09:52:06

It's always nice to hear there are honest people out there. smile

I have found and returned a phone before, as has DP, I would be gutted if I lost mine.

notsoteenagemum Sat 06-Sep-08 09:59:42

YAY honest people!!
Markstretch have lovely vision of the mowbley phone off the advert sitting on the train looking out of the window,
enjoying refreshments,
running to you at the stationgrin

Luce2006 Sun 07-Sep-08 18:55:20

That's good to hear! I lost a bracelet at security at Gatwick airport but noone handed it in...I bet one of the security guards is now wearing....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now