Talk

Advanced search

the kestrel and the rabbit....................advice needed

(13 Posts)
FineFigureFio Mon 21-Feb-05 09:22:24

would the kestrel eat the rabbit?

and why is the kestrel in the garden anyway?

piffle Mon 21-Feb-05 09:29:47

is this a realistic thing?
Yes if so
We have herons take our very large fish, and a kestrel would take a rabbit if it could catch it.
It would take it away to deal with though.
Is this a pet rabbit or have I missed something obvious?

Toothache Mon 21-Feb-05 09:30:41

This is a bit surreal.....

jangly Mon 21-Feb-05 09:55:06

Birds come into gardens more when it gets really cold and they're hungry. Bet it would take the rabbit if it had the chance! We've had a red kite flying round here, but they only eat stuff that's already dead.

FineFigureFio Mon 21-Feb-05 10:06:03

its real!

the kestrel landed in the garden yesterday (which i found odd anyway) But I am concerned about my rabbit, which is in a large hutch, but nevertheless would it go to great lengths to get the rabbit out the hutch?

and can i feed the kestrel, as I am a bit concerned about it. Our garden in tiny, this is why i am shocked

Titania Mon 21-Feb-05 10:07:03

has the kestrel moved much? could it be injured?

Marina Mon 21-Feb-05 10:09:14

Do you get the impression he's a hawking kestrel who might have winged it from a nearby zoo, FFF? Is he wearing tags or anything (as far as you can see?)
I cannot believe a properly wild predator would land in a small urban-ish garden and hang around hoping to tear open a hutch unless it was unwell, though.
RSPCA?

CrazyandConfused Mon 21-Feb-05 10:10:45

Please don't feed the Kestrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too much food and it can not fly properly, the wrong type and it could die, if you start you should never stop because it will give up it's natural territory and another bird will move in, making the kestrel have to scavange, please don't feed it.

yoyo Mon 21-Feb-05 10:13:35

You shouldn't feed it IMO. I don't think your rabbit will be in danger unless it was out of its hutch. We used to be on the "flight path" of a sparrow hawk who picked off tits feeding on a birdfeeder every day. It never touched next door's rabbit though.

If it looks poorly and stays for a long time in your garden you could always ring the RSPB for advice. Some places have wildlife trusts that also offer advice.

FineFigureFio Mon 21-Feb-05 10:13:52

ok i wont feed it!

It flew off after a while and didnt look injured. i am sure it is tagged. it was trying to catch sparrows I think.

My husband seems to think it has come from wildwood, have you ever been there marina? do they have wild birds?

Marina Mon 21-Feb-05 10:16:22

I asked that because there is somewhere round you that has birds of prey, not been myself but have seen the signs off the main road, I am sure of it. So it probably is Wildwood.
Give them a call FFF, I think birds in these centres are reared from chicks and don't get on in the wild (no expert on bird life though!)

Gizmo Mon 21-Feb-05 11:31:53

Hi FFF

If it is a kestrel kept by a falconry centre, you will probably be able to see jesses (long leather straps) or aylmers (leather cuffs) around its legs.

If it managed to catch and kill your rabbit, it would be a super-kestrel! They're not strong enought to bother rabbits: generally eat small rodents and some small birds, so if you have a bird table, that might be interesting it.

As the others say, I really wouldn't bother trying to feed it. It probably won't recognise anything you have to put out as food anyway (unless you happen to have some carrion handy in the house ) and if it is from your local bird centre, they'll find it easier to catch it if it's appetite is keen.

FineFigureFio Mon 21-Feb-05 14:28:52

Thanks Gizmo, that helps

I havent seen it again today, so....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now