Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Renault Megane Scenic (old style)

(11 Posts)
NutterlyUts Mon 01-Sep-08 20:26:07

I am looking at getting a 1999 model, but before I traipse to the dealership, I wanted to ask how people who have them have found the, in terms of usability and reliablity, and I'd like to ask if the back seats go flat?

DanJARMouse Mon 01-Sep-08 20:27:53

My aunt had a T reg that has just caused her hundreds of pounds of work and still no resolution to the problem and only owned it for 6mnths.

Ended up trading it in for a picasso.

Sorry, maybe not what you want to hear.

NutterlyUts Mon 01-Sep-08 20:29:26

No thats exactly what I want to hear! I need to know the good the bad and ugly before I put my hard earned cash into one!

DanJARMouse Mon 01-Sep-08 20:40:12

sorry!!

trockodile Tue 02-Sep-08 10:39:36

We have a 2litre, bought new in 99 and it has done 150,000 miles!

Easy question first-seats should either come out totally, or fold forward leaving a biggish space in the boot, or fold in half but they are not flat -ie level with the boot floor.

Ours has been ok, it has needed a fair bit of work done on it though.
We have needed an engine rebuild (@64,000 miles)(our fault as did not replace timing belt in time, but only 2000 miles over recommended mileage change), new gearbox @80,000), new exhaust and catylitic converter(replaced in sections between 100,000 and 140,000) and new motor for electric window winder. Also had a starter problem and needed some sort of switch fitted which was apparantly very common.
It also has problems with water coming through into the car.

My sister had a 1.6 model and had quite a few problems with it ,ending up scrapping it last year.

On that basis it is hard to advise you to go for it! But ours is still driving,aircon,cd etc still work fine and it has had a hard life! Depends on how much they want for it and condition etc.

HTH.

Chocolateteapot Tue 02-Sep-08 10:44:29

I was going to start a very similar thread but asking how Picasso owners have found their car as I've had a Toyota for nearly 6 years and just don't have to worry about repair bills. It's not big enough now really but I don't want to swap to something which always need work.

Having read around on the net I have got the impression that the Renault reliability is pretty poor so have been put off the Scenic, but maybe this thread will show otherwise (though it isn't off to a good start !)

Berries Tue 02-Sep-08 10:44:58

don't think I'd buy one at that age. Traded an 'X' reg (2000?) in last year as was just about to require serious money to sort out. Did like the car though.
IIRC the most reliable brands (Which report) are Toyota & Nissan (ignoring the mega bucks ones)

biglips Tue 02-Sep-08 10:47:06

weve got a 97 model, 1.9 TD....and it had never let us down. Bought it a year ago and yes the back seats does lie down flat.

We are thinking of getting a newer model soon.

Lilymaid Tue 02-Sep-08 10:48:11

We had a 1997 one which did just over 100k miles and then expired (well it could have been mended but cost by then would have exceeded value). We then bought another one!

piratecat Tue 02-Sep-08 10:50:17

we had a 99 tdi, paid over the odds to buy it from a dealer when it was about 5 yrs, old spent a fortune on it.

In the end no garage could tell us wht was wrong with it, and we sold it for scrap.

i Have seen the exact same model in my town, colour , and it's still going. very hard to tell. You can get duds, it depends on how well problems have been dealt with before yuo get it.

jura Tue 02-Sep-08 11:55:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now