Talk

Advanced search

WWYD if a midwife called your baby an elephant and said he had eaten 'all the pies'...

(20 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Mon 01-Sep-08 08:43:41

Was in hospital for 5 nights as DS and I both had infections and one of the MWs who gave him his antibiotics took one look at him and started laughing and said (not in a nice joking voice either) 'who ate all the pies? I think baby X ate all the pies' then while giving him his ABs (very quickly so he was screaming via IV) called him an elephant. I didn't know what to do or say, do you think maybe I am over-reacting to be upset about it? She later came in and bitched about the lady and baby next door as she kept wanting help with feeding saying she was on the verge of screaming at them. WWYD if a MW had said that about your baby?

Lizzylou Mon 01-Sep-08 08:46:29

Poor you, that must have been very upsetting.
I think she was not very professional nor tactful(esp moaning about another patient to you), do you have her name?

My sympathies, both my boys were huge babies and always got comments like those. It really got on my nerves, people just don't think. DS1 is sooo skinny now, I hanker for those chubby cheeks!

I would have been upset and shocked at her attitude tbh.
My ds was 101b 2 born a week ago and all mw who saw him said wow hes big but in a nice way.
So what if your emotions/hormones are running wild. your clearly having a rough time to by the sounds of things. You have every right to be upset.

Pruners Mon 01-Sep-08 08:47:31

Message withdrawn

petitmaman Mon 01-Sep-08 08:47:35

Don't think you are overreacting. She sounds very unprofessional. You could either make a complaint or just put it down to her being a silly old witch in the wrong job and forget about it.

Think she was unprofessional and bloody rude

dilbertina Mon 01-Sep-08 08:49:10

well she doesn't sound great...TBH though I always took it as a compliment if someone remarked how chubby my babies were. Babies shuld be chubby to withstand minor illenesses. I took (nicely rounded)ds to gp once because he wasn't eating - gp took one look and with a wink said "hmmm, he's fading away isn't he?!"

Hope you're both fully recovered.

cornsilk Mon 01-Sep-08 08:49:17

God what a cow.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 01-Sep-08 08:50:15

I would have been really upset if someone said that about my lo - or about anyone tbh.

I don't think hormones have anything to do with it, it's just a bloody rude thing to say.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 01-Sep-08 08:50:53

Oh, and I hope your ds is doing well.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 01-Sep-08 08:55:50

I thought maybe I was overreacting. What a cow. Glad DH wasn't there, am sure he would have said something, although I wish I had now. He isn't even fat, just big - was born 10lb5oz.

fedupandisolated Mon 01-Sep-08 09:09:36

My goodness - I used to be a midwife and would never have said anything like that.

I love the big babies - they are utterly gorgeous and I was delighted when DS was 9lb+ at birth - big, chubby, snuggly and utterly delightful.

Some midwives just shouldn't be doing the job as they have no people skills at all and no soul .... fancy saying that about such a lovely big healthy baby.

lou031205 Mon 01-Sep-08 09:12:43

TBH - I would laugh and agree. Having said that, this will be DC#3, and I have one skinny shrimp (<25th centile at 2.9, having crept up from 9th centile) & one chunky monkey (1 month prem and 75th centile corrected, 50th centile actual).

I was chuffed that DD2 attracts comments on her chunkiness, because she was induced early because she stopped growing & I am relieved she has caught up.

lou031205 Mon 01-Sep-08 09:13:23

Comments about other family - bang out of order.

Romy7 Mon 01-Sep-08 09:14:35

oh, the paediatrician called my ds 'fatso' when he had RSV at 11 weeks - i was thrilled beyond belief that all the bfing was having such a positive effect, particularly when she explained it was really very helpful that he was on the porky side, as it gave him a much better chance of surviving. it's the skinny babies that cause real concern at that point. she was relieved he had enough 'reserves' to help him through the infection. i wouldn't have been upset at all, i would be chuffed i was doing such a good job xx

Guadalupe Mon 01-Sep-08 09:22:56

'Who ate all the pies' is not funny but not that bad. However, calling him an elephant, your brand new lovely baby, is horrible IMO. Shame you couldn't have said, better an elephant than a cow but we always think of things afterwards don't we.

JulesJules Mon 01-Sep-08 09:32:17

Absolutely, Guadalupe. Better a beautiful healthy elephant than a rude and unprofessional cow.

Dynamicnanny Mon 01-Sep-08 09:33:33

I would call the maternity unit and make them aware of the situation - you don't need to make a complaint if you don't want to but def think they should be aware of how rude the nurse was and how unproffessional - bitching about other patients, name calling a new born etc

TotalChaos Mon 01-Sep-08 09:35:16

sounds like a charmless cow. and v bad to be bitching about other patients to you.

AMumInScotland Mon 01-Sep-08 09:56:30

1. smack her in the mouth - how dare she!
2. make a complaint to the hospital - they should be told, specially about the comments about the other family - if she's even joking about screaming at her patients, then she does not have the right attitude, and someone should be having a serious word with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now