Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to swimming classes?

(16 Posts)
Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 21:14:34

DD starts swimming tomorrow and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to wear. I dont swim for exercise so dont have a swimsuit. Tried one on today and looked like a little barrel (I'm pretty fit and toned) so left it on the shelf. All I have are bikinis.

Will the other mother's think I'm 'up myself' if I turn up in a bikini? I dont have many friends with babies and am hoping to make a few at baby swimming.

I reckon if I wear a vest over the bikini it will be grand?

Advice please...

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 21:17:05

I wear a bikini for my DD's swimming lessons - she is 2.

Two of us wear bikini's, the others don't. Like you it is all I have and I dont feel conscious, not as conscious as if I wore a speedo costume!

Do you mean wear a rash vest over it? That'll be fine, the instructor who teaches us wears bottoms and a rash vest. But not a normal vest, would look a bit wet t-shirt competition! grin

Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 21:22:47

LOL... was planning on wearing the normal vest over the bikini top not instead of grin.

Will go with just the bikini and bring the vest just in case smile

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 21:28:38

Dont do vest. Seriously you will look much better with bikini on its own. Honestly.

And if you have a great figure, why not?

One of the people where I go, she wears full make-up, hair done perfectly, tanned, waxed etc...she refuses to do any of the stuff that involves getting splashed or being dunked...one of the games we play, we all duck under - the idea is to teach our children from what we do. She wont do it! Another one - children pour water from a watering can over us in a singing game - her son cant do that!

So, as long as you are prepared to actually get in the water, bikini is fine and you wont look daft!!!

Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 21:33:29

You know ,I was wondering about the makeup grin. I promised myself I would still wear makeup every day after dd came along and not slob around and I do most days - wear makeup that is. Problem is it isn't waterproof, so Monday's are going to be makeup free days.

I'm definately not so precious that I wouldnt dunk. I was actually wondering earlier what would they say if you did a bomber dive in with the nipper for a laugh! Prob best not to go there wink.

Bikini it is, got period so a lovely little pot belly to go with it at the mo. Cant wait...

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 21:37:04

Salleroo - the pot belly will fit in, am sure!!!
Yes, make-up not a good idea. I dont wear make-up every day, but still make an effort. I do make sure my hair looks half decent before I go in the pool though!!!

How old is your LO? Has she been swimming before?

Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 21:46:02

10 months and no she hasn't. Loves bath time but is terrified of the sea so will see how it goes.

The hair will be scraped into a ponytail to keep it out of the way, it's the lack of mascara I'm worried about!

The pot belly will have to fit in, as it's going nowhere fast!!! Maybe a couple of crunches before bedtime and again first thing? Minor body image obsession??? blush

She will be wearing her little swimming knickers, I thought about going topless too. Now that would make for an interesting session. The things that go through my head. It would never ever happen except in my nightmares by the way.

SoupDragon Sun 31-Aug-08 21:48:34

If you bomber dive in holding your DD your bikini top will lift up with the force of the water and you won't have a free hand to replace it. Buy a swimsuit.

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 21:55:51

Salleroo - you will have lots of fun. DD has been going sine she was 6 months, and now she plays like the 5 year olds! Apart from not being able to swim.

DD is very cautious of the sea, but the waves can be daunting, the pool is much more gentle.

Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 21:55:56

There will be no bomber diving going on and if my bikini shifts I will reposition it.

I've had my bits and pieces gaped at enough during birth not to be botherd by an accidental flash of nipple.

In my quest for a swimsuit today I actually couldnt find one, except for the yoke that made me look like a barrel, or some seriously skimpy but very cool ones in topshop. It was all bikinis. Unless I decide to take up swimming myself then I'm not forking out for a pair of speedos.

Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 21:56:51

Pavlovtc - what age is your dd?

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 21:58:58

She is now 2. She has been having lessons since 6 months. Starts again this week too.

She can now dunk herself under the water - she jumps and lets her head go under, and for the first time this week, she waded into the sea, then launched herself forward into the sea properly shock luckily I was right there on her and guided her back (well I lifted her, but made it out like she did it!), gave her a cuddle as she rubbed her face and looked at tad shocked. Then she giggled and clapped her hands!!! grin

Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 22:01:06

Dont you just love babies, so dinky and cute. She sounds like a sweetie. Thanks for the bikini advice.

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 22:02:00

You are welcome smile Have fun.

SoupDragon Sun 31-Aug-08 22:04:10

All 3 SmallDragons did swimming from a young age. Worth every penny. Although I did have to bellow "she's going to jump!" at DS2 on holiday this year as I saw BabyDragon (2 2/2) sprinting to the pool edge with a glint in her eye. She did jump, was fished out by DS2 shortly afterwards and thought it Great Fun.

Salleroo Sun 31-Aug-08 22:14:33

I think so too re 'worth the money'. Everyone should be able to swim, from a safety aspect as well as the fun that it brings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now