Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which would you buy first - the car or the car seat?

(24 Posts)
canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 10:49:23

OK - I've bought a new car that I'm collecting on Weds but looking on the Britax website the car seat that I already have doesn't look as though it's compatible.

So do I buy a new car seat before then and take it with me when i collect the new car or fit the Britax one into it anyway and then literally drive to the nearest shop to buy a new one.

Can't decide which would be best/safest (she has to come with me as dh is at work)

canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 11:51:40

Any thoughts anyone?

Lazarou Sat 30-Aug-08 11:53:33

Can you not fidn the manufacturers
website and see? Sometimes it tells you which seats are compatible

Lazarou Sat 30-Aug-08 11:54:42

Ah, see you have already done that. I would buy a new seat and take it with me.

canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 11:55:22

Yes I've worked out which is compatible so could just buy it. Then I would be left to fit it by myself at the car garage is the only downside.

Lazarou Sat 30-Aug-08 11:56:25

The new ones are usually pretty easy to put in. Which one is compatible?

Lazarou Sat 30-Aug-08 11:57:11

Do you m,ean you will order it online? The shop assistant should show you how to put it in before you buy it if you to the store.

Overmydeadbody Sat 30-Aug-08 11:59:07

are car seats that hard to fit by yourself?

Or is it more the logistics of trying to do it with baby/child there too?

Lazarou Sat 30-Aug-08 12:00:04

Can your dh not just take hte day off as holiday?

canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 12:00:25

Britax Eclipse or Explorer seem to fit.

Also Maxi Cosi Priori.

Need one with as small a base as possible as I've 2 boosters to get on the back seat as well!

MatNanPlus Sat 30-Aug-08 12:02:26

Which do you have currently?

Lazarou Sat 30-Aug-08 12:02:45

Right, well, if you find they don't all fit that will be a pita. Tell your dh to take the day off, then you can go collect the car and then go and find a new seat.

MatNanPlus Sat 30-Aug-08 12:02:50

Is car or current seat ISOFIX?

canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 12:02:53

No dh can't have the day off, not that easy to arrange I'm afraid.

I suppose I'm worried putting a new car seat in a car, neither of which I'm familiar with.

Maybe I should look for one that's compatible with both cars so I can be shown in the old car then I'm happier with transferring it across

canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 12:04:34

New car is ISOFIX - didn't think of that one!

Current car seat is Britax Renaissance (had quite a few years but road safety chap told me it was safe to still use)

MatNanPlus Sat 30-Aug-08 12:06:04

What is new car?

RubyRioja Sat 30-Aug-08 12:06:50

Isofix pretty easy to fit - but good to have second opinion first time you install.

Usually have spots that show red or green to show whether fitted correctly or not.

We have a Priorifix which is great but pricey and the straps twist easily if you want a reccomendation/condemnation.

canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 12:08:48

New car is mercedes c-class

MatNanPlus Sat 30-Aug-08 12:34:33

I thought they had renamed the Renaissance to be the First Class?

canofworms Sat 30-Aug-08 12:53:13

I'm not sure about that MNP. But when you look to check compatibilities for other cars Renaissance does still come up on the list as a discontinued product

DontNeedAnything Sat 30-Aug-08 12:57:49

I don't think so. The first class was around before the Rennaissance.

I think I would try and avoid taking DC to collect the car so you can take it to teh shop safely and buy the correct seat safely.

IME FitFind is only a guide and there is no substitue for having a "professional" opinion on whehter it fits or not.

MatNanPlus Sat 30-Aug-08 12:58:59

Could you not find the same model nearby in a show room and try your car seat in it?? Cheeky i know but i did a similar thing when hubby was buying me a newer car, i popped to the local dealer (who was servicing me old car) to look over the model they had, i explained why to the saleman and he offered a test drive even tho he knew there wouldn't be a sale!

I did send a letter in saying how helpful he had been and took the new car there for servicing etc, but their attitude is a shed load nicer than the local, local dealership!

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sat 30-Aug-08 13:00:11

The first class is the one that goes both ways front and rear facing - renaissance front facing - i have one tis good.

MatNanPlus Sat 30-Aug-08 13:00:39

As DNA said it is just a guide my current families seats aren't listed for their car but fit better than some of the listed ones shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now