Talk

Advanced search

So dd wants a birthday cake in the shape of a london taxi cab. How hard can it be?

(9 Posts)
corblimeymadam Fri 29-Aug-08 21:59:48

Message withdrawn

savoycabbage Fri 29-Aug-08 22:09:47

I have checked my usually infallible book here

and there is NOTHING.

I would go to the library and get out a book or buy one and show it to your ds who will get so excited that he will change his mind.

It's not as hard as it looks as you can make buttercream which covers almost anything.

If you are going to make a cab you will have to buy proper black food colouring as the supermarket stuff does not go black - I had to make a witch last year.....

LuLuMacGloo Fri 29-Aug-08 22:12:27

DS wanted a camper van cake. I am crap in the cake making department so I bought a camper van model car and put it on top of a flat sponge. DS was delighted because he got a cake he could eat and a camper van to play with. Would this rouse work?

jojo76 Fri 29-Aug-08 22:12:59

Hi belgianbun....I think I would do 2 cakes in loaf tins, round off the corners of the first, cut the second in half or how ever big you want the top half of the car to be. Stick together with buttercream. Eat left over cake. Cover with black sugar paste, and then use sugar paste square/rectangles in white or whatever to make windows, make little handles for the doors, cut circles for wheels and stick on, and do the number plates in white (you could put her name and age or something as the reg), do an orange taxi sign stuck on a black rectangular chunk of black sugar paste for the top! I dont think it would be too hard, if you wanted to get really creative, you could mould the bonnet a bit by building it up with sugarpaste before you put the black top layer on.....
Ok, am going to stop typing now...

Califrau Fri 29-Aug-08 22:24:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Fri 29-Aug-08 22:26:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jojo76 Fri 29-Aug-08 22:29:54

Oh yeah, thats a good idea, Califrau, Ive seen the car tins on ebay over here so that would be a good option!

stealthsquiggle Fri 29-Aug-08 22:47:22

There is a cosy coupe car in one of my cake books (none of which cost me anything like that much) which could be adapted.

stealthsquiggle Fri 29-Aug-08 22:48:42

and any shape is do-able if you:

1. make madiera cake
2. freeze it first before carving
3. have a model/several photos to work from

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now