Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I ditch the highchair and buy a booster seat to fit on the chair????

(13 Posts)
FAQ Thu 28-Aug-08 21:13:58

for DS3 (15 months).

He's into climbing and doesn't like to stay in his highchair for long when we're eating - instead wanting to climb onto the table.

However, last night at DP's - with the absence of a highchair/booster seat I saw him on the chair to eat his icecream and he sat there really well, obviously couldn't reach very well so made quite a mess but didn't try to climb onto the table once.

I'm wondering whether he wants to sit at the table like we do - and therefore wonder whether I should get rid of the highchair (had it 7 1/2yrs - since DS1 was 6 months old) and invest in a seat/cushion to fit on the dining chair?

CarGirl Thu 28-Aug-08 21:16:19

why not, less clutter in the house and more grown up.

FAQ Thu 28-Aug-08 21:18:25

how do you stop the table getting absolutely filthy though??

CarGirl Thu 28-Aug-08 21:38:54

you don't?

Although the tiny diner placemat does help

www.amazon.co.uk/Kiddopotamus-Tiny-Diner-Portable-Placemat/dp/B000ZJ3I32

CarGirl Thu 28-Aug-08 21:41:28

there are some on ebay after all

cgi.ebay.co.uk/kiddopotamus-tiny-diner-roll-up-placemat_W0QQitemZ250287481934QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m250287481934&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

elmoandella Thu 28-Aug-08 21:49:39

i've got a giant plastic clear table cloth. just wipe down after.

i got mine from italy where they have all shapes and sizes. but i seen some in pundstretchers the other day.

LoveMyGirls Thu 28-Aug-08 21:50:48

I would he obviously wants to be involved.

tassisssss Thu 28-Aug-08 21:52:53

At 15 months I'd stick with the high chair personally.

I'm considering ditching it at 23 months, but then dd tips her milk over or tomato soup goes everywhere or similar and I'm thankful to have the tray.

MrsBadger Thu 28-Aug-08 21:53:02

all the people with trayless highchairs (trip trap / Antilop etc) manage the mess...

another vote for plastic tablecloth - ours is they type you buy by the metre off a roll in a fabric shop

VickyPea Thu 28-Aug-08 21:53:30

Hi, I ditched my highchair for my second DS pretty early on, as we kept falling over the damn thing. He has a booster seat which allows him to sit at the table like his big bro and it was great to take on holiday/use in the caravan etc. I bought some wipeable fabric (the sort you get in cafes) from our local fabric shop and just throw that on, it wipes down easily and saves me from having to keep cleaning the table - go for it!

onepieceoflollipop Thu 28-Aug-08 21:56:09

I am thinking the same thing with a 12 month old FAQ. My friend has just moved her 16 month old from highchair to booster and it has been fine.

I have large tablemats (plastic children's ones) that I put the children's food on. tbh I don't think that my baby could possibly make any more mess than she does already grin

She is well able to fling food from the integrated tray on to the floor/walls etc!

FAQ Thu 28-Aug-08 21:57:39

I think I go for it then - and invest in a large plastic sheet/mat to catch the mess.....

I'm getting a lovely mahogany table (for free!) within a week - it's a take it now, or not at all offer so an offer I can't really afford to turn down iykwim

Seona1973 Fri 29-Aug-08 10:30:34

ds was in a booster from about 16/17 months (now 22 months) - much easier for eating at the table. He uses a table mat and coaster for his cup (very civilised!!). He does have a big plastic mat under the chair though as he does make a bit of mess. I just bought a cheap one without a tray from Tesco today for only £6.99. It is one piece of moulded plastic so it has no nooks and crannies like his last one (you end up with loads of crap under the booster if there are spaces for food to fall through) and it has a 3 point harness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now