Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Art parties - in north or west London? Tigermoth??

(14 Posts)
binkie Fri 18-Feb-05 10:29:04

Ds is coming up to 6 and wants an "art party". I'd prefer a church hall and creation of messy co-operative mural to a ceramics cafe - does anyone know of a teacher/venue/any other ideas?

Tigermoth, have a feeling this might be your sort of thing? - hence special plea

binkie Fri 18-Feb-05 12:43:07

lunchtime bumpola

please anyone?

Slink Fri 18-Feb-05 13:20:46

Why not go to the ceramics cafe and ask if they come to you??? my sister in law did that and they were happy to help????

motherinferior Fri 18-Feb-05 19:53:31

Oi Binkie (I'm such a laydee) - how about getting ceramic pens and ceramic paints from Baker Ross and some cheap white crockery from the pound shop?

tigermoth Fri 18-Feb-05 21:01:51

Oh Binkie, thanks for thinking of me. Wish I could offer help based on experience but I cannot!

Hiring a church hall shouldn't be a massive problem. Creation of messy co-operative mural...hmmm... can you phone up some art centres - find what centres offer children's art classes in your area? art colleges? perhaps get a student art teacher to help?

I'd be very interested to know if this idea is a goer. Sounds good - your ds has taste!

sis Sat 19-Feb-05 13:31:01

Binkie, have you tried netmums.co.uk? the nearest one to me (Harrow) has adverts for people who will come with arts and crafts stuff to a party to lead the 'creative' (ie messy) stuff for your childs party.

binkie Sat 19-Feb-05 17:40:42

sis, I looked & my local netmums (Westminster) just didn't seem to have anything - I think it's not very actively run - eg there's just one party venue listed & I know masses. There doesn't seem to be a netmums for Camden, which would be the other closest. Maybe I'll have to come back to you for Harrow imports?!

Any more ideas, throw them in!

binkie Sun 20-Feb-05 20:20:45

Remarkably, it seems to be sorted.

St Mark's Church Hall on Abercorn Place NW8, £20/hr. Lady who used to teach children's art classes in said church hall, now moved on to studio in Notting Hill but available for relevant date & time. Has just been doing a half-term art workshop featuring giant co-operative mural on theme of Peter and the Wolf. Could it be better?

roisin Sun 20-Feb-05 20:27:16

'giant co-operative mural on theme of Peter and the Wolf' ... sounds absolutely fabulous! Hope she's as good as she sounds.

sis Mon 21-Feb-05 22:30:12

Glad you got it sorted and hope your lovely son has a wonderful birthday.

roisin Fri 11-Mar-05 17:34:14

Has this happened yet Binkie? I'd like to arrange something along similar lines for ds2 (early May). Any hints and tips about what did or didn't work?

binkie Tue 12-Apr-05 14:14:21

roisin, totally missed this, sorry to answer so late

well: rising sixes + biggish group + BOYS = significant anarchy risk - so anticipate & have up sleeve what to do with the bursts of energy. Our party leader didn't I think quite get that, so while much of it was fun there were some rather out-of-hand moments which took her by surprise (and hm, maybe shouldn't have done if doing parties is her business?). Last year we had an interactive storytelling chap who had the whole lot mesmerised - I'm sure it worked so well not only because acting trees and goblins mopped up the energy, but also because I could see him adapting as he went along so's to fit the particular mix of dynamics & personalities.

So: if art projects can be done in a way that allows for boisterousness, brilliant; if not, well, maybe something more physical is better at this age.

But final note of differing perspective: ds says this year's party was much more fun than last year's (citing a particular deranged episode with a parachute).

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 14:25:04

Thanks for that Binkie! DS2 had initially rejected one of my suggestions - to take two friends for a day out: on the train, then on the little steam train - picnic + waterfall - then back on the trains. But this morning he suddenly floated that idea again, so I'm hoping he'll go for that: seems the easiest option all round!

lisalisa Tue 12-Apr-05 14:27:54

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now