Talk

Advanced search

Just wanted to hear from anyone who has put their dc in a forward facing seat at 6 months??

(16 Posts)
papaya Tue 26-Aug-08 10:58:57

ds is very long and weighs 23lbs, he is currently 5 1/2 months. I am really struggling with his car seat, his feet are squished and he is so tall the straps are hunch him over in his seat a little too awkwardly for my liking...

have you put your dc in a forward facing seat earlier than recommended? He is the correct weight but i worry about the safety of him being forward facing? He is very strong and can sit unaided. Surely age is merely a guideline and individual babies vary a great deal so to go by his weight and strength in neck etc is a better guideline surely??? The guy i spoke to at Kiddicare said he would be able to go in one now, but he still seems so young iykwim. I am definitely going to try and last in his rear facer until after 6 months, but he seems to get bigger and heavier by the day...

TrinityRhino Tue 26-Aug-08 11:00:26

is he really 23lb?

goodness what a lovely chunky chap smile

I'm not even sure my 3 yr old weighs that

liahgen Tue 26-Aug-08 11:00:46

i think the guideline is 13kg. Some seats may differ but do check with the one you have got, as it's weight that makes them safe, not age.

My dd is almost 16 mths, and is still in her infant carrier as she is only 10kg.

Some next stage seats will face rearward, (the one we've bought does), and gives more room than an infant carrier.

hth

louii Tue 26-Aug-08 11:01:54

It is not safe at that age to be forward facing. Get a different care seat, my little lad was rear facing till well over a year. Legs being bent are fine, thats how we sit in a car afterall with legs bent.

wontbepreggersagain Tue 26-Aug-08 11:02:12

what about a 0-4 car seat so that he can still be rear facing.

what do you feed him????? grin

louii Tue 26-Aug-08 11:02:39

It is not safe at that age to be forward facing. Get a different car seat onr rhat can convert to forward facing later on, my little lad was rear facing till well over a year. Legs being bent are fine, thats how we sit in a car afterall with legs bent.

RubySlippers Tue 26-Aug-08 11:03:02

keep him in your rear facing as long as possible as that is the safest way for them to travel

the guidelines are to do with neck and muscle control and not just weight

LadySalisbury Tue 26-Aug-08 11:05:06

I think it's 9kg or 20lbs to move into a forward facing car seat (usually about 9 months old). The other important thing is head control IIRC.

You certainly have a chunky chap there! My ds2 (2.5) is only 24lbs! smile

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 26-Aug-08 11:07:22

I can't remember at what age and weight ds was when he went into a Stage 2 car seat, but I think he was something like 5 1/2 - 6 months old, tall and didn't meet the minimum weight criteria. However his head and legs were hanging out of his baby seat and he could sit up by himself.

He loved the bigger seat as he could see out of the window and I always thought he seemed a lot more secure in it than the baby seat.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 26-Aug-08 11:08:07

Why not get a Britax First Class - excellent car seat. I bought one for DD1 when she was 4 months, used it rear facing until 10 months then turned it around and she used it until she was 3. Used it again for DD2 who is now facing forwards at nearly 1.

Personally I wouldn't risk putting a 5.5 month old forward facing. His neck muscles would not be strong enough if you had an accident.

liahgen Tue 26-Aug-08 11:10:56

the newer infant carriers go to 13kg, and forward facing starts from there.

Your lo is only about 10.45 kgs which is far too light to be forward facing.

papaya Tue 26-Aug-08 12:30:45

I do agree it seems too young, my dd (3yo and still only 26lbs lol) in comparison thou she was tiny and was in her rear facing set until nearly 18 months.

the guy at the shop got me thinking about moving him in to a front facer sooner, but thanks ladies i will stick with the rear facing one, this was what my gut feeling said to be honest, he just looks so squished lol. rather squished that unsafe thou x

p.s. he's still only breastfed!

serant Tue 26-Aug-08 12:38:52

My boy is 6 mths and weighs 21lb, he is too big for the car seat.

I am looking at the stage 2 seats & it says from 20lb. He will probably be in this seat in the next couple of weeks.

sazm Tue 26-Aug-08 17:06:08

yep but its not just the weight that means you should move them,if they dont have strong enough back/neck muscles they could actually end up injured in a crash.

ephrinedaily Tue 26-Aug-08 17:11:10

Hi we got a really cheap 9 months plus car seat (it's cos we don't have our own car and we're skint, not cos we don't care) and tall 9 month old DS can still go rear facing in it - in fact I think they can go rear facing in it for quite a while - till 13 kg? and then it goes forward and you can use it until he's four. Try finding one of those for a bit, it is really better to be rear facing for as long as poss I think.

saggyhairyarse Tue 26-Aug-08 21:24:20

My DD was like this. I didn't put her forward facing though. I bought the Britax seat that is rear and forward facing and kept it rear facing til she was well past 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now