Talk

Advanced search

Storage Heater - Uneconomic?

(16 Posts)
KatieMac Thu 17-Feb-05 22:55:23

I have (quite old) Night Storage Heaters......are they cheap to run?

Should I replace them? Do they cost a fortune to run? Is there a good alternative. The village has no Gas.

Any thoughts??

colditzmum Thu 17-Feb-05 22:58:14

Oh boy, they are such a pain in the neck! They seem to switch on when its hot, and off when it's cold! We never did find out how to use ours properly. And in my opinion, they are expensive to run.

KatieMac Thu 17-Feb-05 22:59:30

They are annoying....I can't control them at all

Is there anything better?

KatieMac Fri 18-Feb-05 19:06:22

Bump

jessicasmummy Fri 18-Feb-05 19:06:55

in my experience they are bloody expensive!

Cod Fri 18-Feb-05 19:10:13

Message withdrawn

kid Fri 18-Feb-05 19:13:25

I have storage heaters, we have no gas in our property. We paid just over £100 for 3 months use of electricity, we had 2 heaters on for the whole 3 month period.
It is annoying that you can't control the temperature. I usually open the windows in the morning and then it is nice and warm in the evening and during the night. I do miss my central heating

fairyfly Fri 18-Feb-05 19:14:24

well............... i am convinced they store dust and then throw it out to give my kids coughs. They are ok if you keep them on but take 2 days to come back on if you ever turn them off. So you never turn them off until its hot. Soory im not making much sense bit distracted, i would say get rid.

KatieMac Fri 18-Feb-05 19:15:52

What is the altenative??

SoftFroggie Fri 18-Feb-05 21:13:55

Argh - wrote you a reply and failed to post it (I think).

We have storage heating. It is more expensive to run than central heating, although if you are in the house all day, can be good, as it is on allday, while you might choose only to put central heating on morning and evening. The main alternative is oil central heating (big oil tank in your drive / garden). It may be cheaper to run, but will cost roughly £3k to £6k to insatll, so will take decades to pay back financially. And oil is getting SO expensive these days - my tank (for the Aga) has gone up from £150 to £250 in 18 months. We're going to have it put in, though, as I'm fed up with being too hot or too cold.
Other alterntives would be using wood or solar panels. Also worth looking into would be NEW storage heaters, which I believe are more attractive (could hardly be less), more efficient and more flexible.

HTH

KatieMac Fri 18-Feb-05 21:27:35

I have a wood burning stove which heats up my hot water in the winter - but it's not much use Late spring to mid autumn.

Would Solar help in the winter??
I don't want Oil as I'm worried about future costs.

I like being a bit greener, so I might look in to modern storage heaters

Aimsmum Fri 18-Feb-05 21:30:53

Message withdrawn

KatieMac Fri 18-Feb-05 22:00:09

Just got really excited about a heat pump - but it can only be fitted into new build....

makealist Fri 18-Feb-05 22:35:41

I personally love our storage heaters. we have 2 large ones in our lounge/diner and 1 large one on the landing upstairs and our whole house is lovely and warm ( we don't have double glazing and before the heaters were fitted we had a coal fire, which looked lovely but only warmed the lounge a bit, you could still see your "breath" if you sat in the dining area and we used to hate going upstairs as it was so hard to get warm)

We are on the "comfort" tariff which means the heaters get topped up around 2~3.30pm and 8.30~10 and again around 5.30~7 in the morning so we have a constant heat. Do agree sometimes in the morning I find it a bit muggy and have to open windows/doors for a while but thats nothing really. Our house is electric only and we pay on direct debit £65 a month so throughout the year it all balances out. Hope I've made sense.

KatieMac Sat 19-Feb-05 09:06:48

makealist - we pay £65 a month too. I thought that was a lot. I think I want something greener....but what??

expatinscotland Sat 19-Feb-05 09:58:39

Hate 'em! Like Aimsmum, we're being ripped off by Scottish Power to the tune of £100/month for a two-bedroom flat. B/c it's a rental, we can't change out the storage heaters, but I'd get rid of 'em in a heartbeat. They are rank and expensive to run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now