Talk

Advanced search

RATS

(10 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Mon 25-Aug-08 16:10:24

Our cat has recently started catching them and leaving them as presents for us in the garden.

I got her a new collar with huge bell, but it doesn't seem to be working because I was just stood outside chatting to dd'2 friends mum and the cat ran across our front lawn with a rat in her mouth.
She seemed to have come from next door and I think that is where the rats must be, as they have an avery and a cage with ferrets in out side, and I often see our cat sat staring into their garden ready to pounce.

I haven't seen any eveidence of rats in our garden apart from when the cat leaves the dead ones there. They are only baby rats too.

Our houses belong to a housing association, so do i ring them to get is sorted or the council ??
Problem is, next door are on holiday for another week.

IllegallyBrunette Mon 25-Aug-08 16:26:38

bump

cocoeelpew Mon 25-Aug-08 16:29:00

Move houseI'd phone the council to come and deal with the rats and the HA to complain if that's what you want to do.

IllegallyBrunette Mon 25-Aug-08 16:30:34

Oh i'd love to move believe me.

I xdon't mind next xdoor having animals, but I am starting to get a pissed off now, as the ferrets smell, and if that is where the rats are coming from then I am definatly not happy.

I think I will speak to the HA first, as the council may act quicker if they contact them.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 10:16:22

Argh, just sat here minding my own business, and saw a rat run from under next doors fence, across my back fence and back out again.

Saw the cat shortly after too but she hadn't got it.

charliecat Tue 26-Aug-08 10:18:11

The rats will come into next doors garden to share the ferrets food i imagine.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 10:20:29

Their garden is a tip tbh. They have a huge avery which has food all over the place and now this ferret cage, which is crap anyway as the ferrets keep escaping.

They have avery, shed and fish pond in a row along their back fence, and I reckon there is now a nest somewhere along there.

Going to go and get dressed and go round to the site office.

fluffyanimal Tue 26-Aug-08 10:20:30

You're going to have to keep your cat in if the council / HA put poison down. The poison won't kill the rats immediately, so you don't want the cat catching a poisoned rat.

Alternatively, go and get lots of traps yourself. Make sure they are good big ones, as rats can wriggle out of smaller mouse traps.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 13:18:36

Oh great, hadn't realised i'd have to keep the cat in. That means i'll have to go buy a litter tray etc.

I spoke to the HA and they said |I have to ring environmental health. Also got xp to come and have a look as he used to be a pest controller. He jumped over into next doors garden and had a look around and said they are 100% coming from there as there are droppings and stuff has been chewed through.

bethoo Tue 26-Aug-08 13:21:42

ferrets and rats do not mix so chances are the rotten food is attractimg them. arehte ferrets being looked after or have the owners just leftthem with food? if this is causing the rats to come then chances are they may have to either reconsider how they raisethe ferrets or remove them from the property if it is rented.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now