Talk

Advanced search

Ebayers opinions please!

(25 Posts)
Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 19:28:24

Dp sold his phone on Ebay this week. He is a bit of a gadget freak, he won this phone in a competition but then found 'the one' and spent £400 on a different one . So he sold his old one, which was only about a month old (yes I know). He always looks after his things with great care (he's a virgo!) and the phone was in as new condition. The bloke that won the auction got up my nose straight away. He looked up DP on his gadget website he is a member of and questioned him over several issues. Then stated that he reckoned he had payed more than enough for the phone already, and as a member of the same site as him he should have free postage. He then asked DP to put a load of things on the phone for him, all of which DP did. He recieved the phone tues, said it was great and then the next day sent another email saying he was dissapointed with the condition of the phone, that he feels he payed over the odds for it and what was DP going to do about it? So...what should DP do about it?!

Ps, the phone went for at least £60 than it would brand new.

SoupDragon Thu 17-Feb-05 19:33:37

The only thing the buyer holds over you is the threat of negative feedback. Have you left feedback for them yet?

Frizbe Thu 17-Feb-05 19:35:42

well said Soupey!

Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 19:36:07

No, DP hasn't. He has more feedback than him for a start. I was wondering about offering the mediation service and that would probably show if he really felt he had reason to be dissapointed or was just out to get some money.

janeybops Thu 17-Feb-05 19:36:27

If the phone was in good condition then it sounds like he is trying to get some money refunded. Call his bluff and ask him to return the phone for a full refund.....

Or wait to leave feedback till after he has and then defend yourself if it is negative!

Never had this exact situation so not sure really. good luck

Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 19:36:33

Sorry, DP has more feedback.

sparklymieow Thu 17-Feb-05 19:38:16

he bidded on it FFS, he didn't have too..... whats he gonna do!!??

Tissy Thu 17-Feb-05 19:38:38

surely if he bid for the phone, he undertakes to pay that amount? Unless your dh was misleading in his description the buyer should pay up and shut up. Oh and he should pay the full postage as well.

bobbybob Thu 17-Feb-05 19:39:24

Just ride it out, a auction is a final sale - he didn't have to bid, he's already got free postage and lots of other stuff and he's just got a little post purchase dissonance, some people just hate parting with cash.

Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 19:42:36

I think he is just trying to screw DP over. Here is his mail,

I have been inspecting the phone in the daylight and i have to say i'm pretty dissapointed, the phone is wonderful but theres so many scratches especially on the left side of the casing next to the screen and the back but all around the phone theres scratches and on the screen too, i'm not really bothered if there were minor scratches but you said it was in mint condition and I paid £300 for it on your description, i mean when i first saw your item it was because i was looking for a p910i and i can get a brand new one for around the price I paid for the n1. What can you do?

regards

sparklymieow Thu 17-Feb-05 19:45:38

was there stratches?? I take it that your Dh didn't say it was brand new, and it there was a few tiny stratches then can you get away with Mint condition (i don't know myself)

Freckle Thu 17-Feb-05 19:47:28

Personally I would email back and say that if he is so disappointed with the item, you'll offer a full refund on receipt of the item back.

If he's trying to screw you over, he'll decline. If he's not, he'll return it.

piffle Thu 17-Feb-05 19:48:13

I'd offer a full refund, tell him to return it straight away and sell to either an underbidder or relist
He's a chancer - if he does neg you then you can always reply, that you offered a full refund - ebayers can spot a retaliatory neg a mile away...

misdee Thu 17-Feb-05 19:48:55

tell him to send the phone abck for a full refund.

sophie10 Thu 17-Feb-05 19:49:06

Sounds to me like he has changed his mind since he saw it for sale new for not much more. That is his problem though and ebay makes it really clear that you should be serious about bidding before you do. What does your Dp say about the scratches?

misdee Thu 17-Feb-05 19:56:38

can u do a link to your dh item?

Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 20:10:27

here you go

Like I said, I would have too said the phone was in perfect condition.

misdee Thu 17-Feb-05 20:12:46

whats the other guys pervious feedback say? has he tried this b4?

sophie10 Thu 17-Feb-05 20:13:54

They look fine to me. I think mediation is a good way to go.

Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 20:15:11

his feedback was fine, only score of 3 though. From what I could see he hasn't brought anything quite so valuable before. The phone can't be brought commercially in the uk.

misdee Thu 17-Feb-05 20:16:45

i think the only thing you can do is offer a refund minus postage costs, and put it down to dodgey buyer trying his luck. there were 16bids on the item, maybe your dh could sell it to one of the other bidders.

Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 20:32:48

Thanks Misdee. Only he hasn't paid any postage so far! I will talk to DP at some point. He was supposed to be back from work at 3.30 but is still there, so tonight might not be the best time! Is the reason, though, that I'm on here!

kid Thu 17-Feb-05 21:08:15

I have bought and sold many things on Ebay and I think you should offer a full refund if he pays P+P to return the phone. It sounds as though he is just being fussy and is trying to back out of the sale. You don't have to offer him a refund, after all, he didn't comment on any problems when he first contacted you. There is nothing he can do about it. He may want to get some money off, but personally I wouldn't give him any money off. If he didn't want to pay that amount of money then he shouldn't have bid!

ripley Thu 17-Feb-05 21:53:05

Sounds like buyers remorse to me. Definitely offer the guy a full refund on receipt of the items return. What an idiot though. I had a guy email me in January about a charger I sold to him in June of last year and he asked me if I could refund him ore send him a new one - it was only an extra I had at home and it sold for about £1.50!

Flossam Thu 17-Feb-05 21:57:27

Well DP hasn't got back to him since he emailed yesterday evening, he has been at work since 7 am and is still there now, poor thing. The bloke hasn't followed it up yet, although I did email him and point out a few things when I got it... not nastily though. DP is out at work again tomorrow, and so things might take their own course. I don't think he is keen to offer a refund. Maybe he can be talked into it, but not after a 15 hr(at least) day!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: