Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Picnic venue in Dorset please

(25 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Sat 23-Aug-08 18:19:22

We have just moved here, we are based in Blandford and want a day out with a picnic. Will have the dog with us.

We were going to go back to Studland but would like to discover somewhere new.

wessexgirl Sat 23-Aug-08 18:21:40

A nice one is the woods around Thomas Hardy's cottage just outside Dorchester. There are picnic tables and it's perfect for dog exercising.

Lot of wasps there last time I went though hmm, and might be muddy after recent rain.

wessexgirl Sat 23-Aug-08 18:23:11

OH, and Lulworth Cove is my personal favourite.

Legoleia Sat 23-Aug-08 18:27:02

New forest
Moors Valley Country Park
Upton Country Park

All good!

Legoleia Sat 23-Aug-08 18:28:02

Canford Cliffs or any of the Chines if you fancy the beach!

twinsetandpearls Sat 23-Aug-08 18:31:18

am looking those up now

twinsetandpearls Sat 23-Aug-08 18:35:04

lots of people have recomended Lulworth Cove, we may go there

Legoleia Sat 23-Aug-08 18:46:07

Lulworth very scenic, but not so good if you have LOs that are likely to run off (steep cliffs etc!)

Legoleia Sat 23-Aug-08 18:46:08

Lulworth very scenic, but not so good if you have LOs that are likely to run off (steep cliffs etc!)

twinsetandpearls Sat 23-Aug-08 18:48:33

ONly have one little one so easy to control. If I say run there and you will die she tends to follow instructions. grin

twinsetandpearls Sat 23-Aug-08 18:49:26

Dp is more worried about the dog than our dd[hmmm] and is now looking for somewhere else.

Legoleia Sat 23-Aug-08 18:53:50

Upton Country Park used to have a hollow tree that kids can climb inside (but I haven't been there for years!

Ah, you're making me nostalgic!

twinsetandpearls Sat 23-Aug-08 18:56:08

We know upton as I will be working near there, will suggest it.

saggyhairyarse Sun 24-Aug-08 07:46:24

Moreton is a good spot, there is the river to paddle/fish in and lots of people take dogs. Also, Blue Pool, lovely spot

twinsetandpearls Sun 24-Aug-08 20:26:14

We went to Lulworth, had a wonderful day although I will never wear open toed shoes again, my feet are killing!

Will look those up saggyhairyarse.

Tommy Sun 24-Aug-08 20:27:59

were at Hardy's cottage yesterday for picnic! It was a bit muddy but it is a lovely spot for a walk as well

SpinningEm Sun 24-Aug-08 20:35:41

Hi am from Blandford as well! There are lots of lovely places round here - what about Arne? Also Badbury Rings is a great place to go with dogs.

twinsetandpearls Sun 24-Aug-08 21:13:39

Thanks, this is all so exciting as there are so many places to discover.

wessexgirl Sun 24-Aug-08 21:14:51

Ooh, yay, I'm glad you liked Lulworth, and your dog didn't leap off the top of Durdle Door (I think a dog actually did this a couple of years back).

twinsetandpearls Sun 24-Aug-08 21:15:51

dd would love arne, she is a budding bird watcher.

twinsetandpearls Sun 24-Aug-08 21:18:15

It was quite hard work with the dog as he was pulling quite a lot so I don't think we would take him again but he did love swimming in the sea. We parked at Durdle door and walked down to the sea and then in the early evening went to Lulworth Cove and on the beach again.

We did take our wicker picnic hamper which was a complete nightmare to lug up and down, a lighter version is needed.

It was dd favourite beach so far.

twinsetandpearls Sun 24-Aug-08 21:20:26

Moreton looks very pretty.

twinsetandpearls Sun 24-Aug-08 21:23:01

Blue pool looks stunning, we need more bank holidays grin

saggyhairyarse Mon 25-Aug-08 21:25:05

My Auntie lived in Weymouth and my Grandmother in Portland when I was little. My Mum used to take us camping at Durdle Door every year. Now my Dad lives near Bridport, my brother in Weymouth and another Aunt in Swanage. So I spent most school holidays in Dorset and seem to go there every school holiday now.

I love Dorset, so many lovely spots.

puffling Mon 25-Aug-08 21:26:48

The Hive Beach at Burton Bradstock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now