Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone reassure me that I will get a second shot at life....?

(8 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Thu 21-Aug-08 17:46:18

I am waiting for a second wind...

I have a DD 2YO and adore her but feel I have lost touch with so many friends. Mainly through the practicalities of looking after a child and meeting up and also the way it is hard for them to relate to me as a Mum when I was kind of a "Party Girl" before and have changed so much.
I have made lots of Mum friends through groups and the like but I can't really let go with them and it never really progresses from small and baby talk. They are lovely but I can't yet be "me".

I love my life and now DD is of an age where I feel comfortable leaving her with family (I have family nearby) want to get out and about again - meeting people, new experiences and generally letting my hair down but I don't know who to do it with. DH is supportive and we have promised to spend some time together but I also want to do things on my own or with others.

I was even wondering about when DD starts school is it likely I will meet a new crowd of people then?
This sounds so pathetic. Does anyone have a clue what I mean? and where do I start?

sophiajane Thu 21-Aug-08 17:51:00

Know exactly how you feel.

None of my old friends have children yet and no matter how much we love each other there is a real chasm there now.

Like you have been sociable and made perfectly nice mummy friends but with 90% of them feel a little guarded and not the "old" me. It's not pathetic at all, I sometimes wake up in a panic about it...sad

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 21-Aug-08 17:59:14

Nice to know it's not just me SJ - what can we do?

sophiajane Thu 21-Aug-08 18:10:59

Don't really have any answers am afraid! Where are you? Is it a city or rural?

My approach is to just be open and friendly (even if some of the mums are a little bit dull), we do a lot of playgroups and I make a lot of polite small talk (yawn). I just hope that underneath all the babytalk there is a kindred spirit out there who will be unearthed!

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 21-Aug-08 18:59:21

I am in the burbs' - a London Girl originally..
I feel the same way - I will keep hoping x

sophiajane Thu 21-Aug-08 19:13:13

if you anywhere near north london get in touch. Also have a 2 yr old DD smile

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 21-Aug-08 19:15:37

Oh God I will....Maybe there is hope after all x

BEAUTlFUL Wed 27-Aug-08 23:09:42

I feel your pain! More than you know. It DOES get better when LO starts school. I felt isolated when DS was pre-school (London party girl, like you, now living in Burbs), but on the first day he started school, I met a lovely group of local Mums who are SOOOO much more "me" than anyone I ever met at NCT classes, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now