Advanced search

regency and georgian are they the same period?

(42 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 15:43:04

Thanks am putting a costume togther for dd and am getting confused I am referring to the early 18th century.

Habbibu Thu 21-Aug-08 15:44:58

Kind of - here's wiki: The Georgian era is a period of British history, normally defined as including the reigns of the kings George I, George II, George III and George IV, i.e. covering the period from 1714 to 1830, (with the sub-period of the Regency, defined by the Regency of George IV as Prince of Wales during the illness of his father George III). Sometimes the reign of William IV (1830 to 1837) is also included.

Habbibu Thu 21-Aug-08 15:45:37

Love these questions - they make me hunt for things I have no idea about.

MrsSprat Thu 21-Aug-08 15:46:32

Yes - Georgian is the outer bit of the doughnut and Regency is the hole. In diagramatic terms smile

LIZS Thu 21-Aug-08 15:46:50

Regency is George iii/iv so early 19th century

MrsSprat Thu 21-Aug-08 15:48:59

Regency fashions - the birth of the empire line and Jane Austeny fashions

twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 15:49:06

dd costume is based in 1713 just to be awkward. We live in a town that was rebuilt after a fire in 1713, she is a child escaping the fire.

lol Mrs Sprat.

twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 15:50:45

sorry I am wrong so it is not that awkward the fire was in 1731, switched my digits!

Habbibu Thu 21-Aug-08 15:54:10

Possibly anything charred, then? End of the Stuart period (queen Anne died 1714) and beginning of georgian - picture of queen anne. Ooh - useful site here

twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 15:54:14

Strictly speaking is it not Hanoverian? Or am I trying to be too clever?

twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 15:54:51

We are going to artistically splatter them in soot!

twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 15:55:27

great link habbibu

Habbibu Thu 21-Aug-08 15:56:20

Hanoverian (frantically googles) covers monarchs up to victoria - same family. Georgian more appropriate to period in time. I think.

wheresthehamster Thu 21-Aug-08 15:57:01

Normally the description is based on the monarch's name TSAP. Stop trying to show off grin

twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 15:57:07

but no mention of empire line though, I was thinking of Jane Austen type dress but maybe that is not right.

MrsSprat Thu 21-Aug-08 15:58:12

Getting towards Gainsborough lady fashion and suchlike. Or just sooty rags perhaps.

Hanoverian, strictly speaking would be the icing on the doughnut, as it includes Victoria too

Habbibu Thu 21-Aug-08 15:59:28

Are you hungry, MrsS?

MrsSprat Thu 21-Aug-08 15:59:38

The Jane Austeny stuff is start of 1800s, definitely after the French revolution and rejection of aristocratic periwigs and the like.

MrsSprat Thu 21-Aug-08 16:00:22


Habbibu Thu 21-Aug-08 16:01:22

Watch Blackadder the Third, twinset!

RustyBear Thu 21-Aug-08 16:01:39

Jane Austen is later - 1790's - early 1800's, so closer to Regency.
1731 would be George II - we're talking hooped petticoats & general frills, rather than the plain simple empire line dresses

wheresthehamster Thu 21-Aug-08 16:02:56

1731 is definitely 'georgian' but whether there was a specific type of fashion then I wouldn't know. I'd just do some Pride and Prejudice type dress if I was you.

twinsetandpearls Thu 21-Aug-08 16:04:08

lol wheresthehamster I show off whenever I can, it does not happen that often!

wheresthehamster Thu 21-Aug-08 16:04:49


Habbibu Thu 21-Aug-08 16:04:53

Actually, the Madness of King George would be almost perfect

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: