Talk

Advanced search

Duller than a dully-dull dull thing ... Taps & smells?

(13 Posts)
Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:02:25

Sometimes when I run the tap the water smells a bit off (I'd even say a bit toilety)

I know that there's nothing wrong with the water supply .. it has been tested by the water board (because of a trial they were doing)

anyone know where the smell comes from and what it might be?

(sorry .. I know yawn ..)

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 15:04:12

is it better if you run it for ages?

no dont yawn i could speak about boring things like this all day

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 15:05:28

is it the cold water? do you have a cold water tank or does it just come off the mains

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:09:14

its the cold water upstairs in the bathroom .. it is better if run for a bit yes

yes it comes directly off the mains (no water tank)

have just noticed it downstairs sink too which made me ask

have thrown some bleach down plughole in case the smell came from there (do you think it might have?)

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 15:12:24

am so glad you dont have a tank. the last house i lived in had a tank and the water was funny. i eventually looked in the tank and there was a dead pigeon

bleach would be my first attack too

ask the neighbours if they are the same?

phone the water board

emmatmg Wed 16-Feb-05 15:13:40

We get this from out kitchen sink occaisionally.

DH has used a plunger on it a few times and all sorts of gunk come up.

Could it be a build up of gunk for you?

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 15:17:23

mr muscle sink and plughole unblocker is really really good

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 15:25:39

even if sink is not actually blocked?

would it be coming from the plug if the smell is only there when the water runs?

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 15:29:47

maybe, cant think of anything else

gingerbear Wed 16-Feb-05 15:33:02

run a glass of water and sniff it away from the sink. If it doesn't smell, then it is your plughole / drains.

If it does smell, deffo get onto the waterboard!

Snugs Wed 16-Feb-05 16:16:08

Might be the overflow pipe. Can get a bit ripe and stagnant in there if you don't regularly rinse it out (or cause a flood so that it rinses itself out .

Running water down the drain pushes air back up the overflow - hence the smell when you run the tap.

scotlou Wed 16-Feb-05 16:31:06

Ours does this from time to time. Think there must be something in the pipes that has backed up a bit - but not enough to block - that causes the smell. Using mr muscle sink and plughole unblocker really makes a difference - do it at bedtime and leave it overnight but make sure the kids can't get near it.

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 16-Feb-05 16:35:08

We had a smelly problem last year which effected our neighbours.

It turned out the pipe that went from the sink in the kitchen wasn't connected to the rest of the pipe that went outside properly iyswim and most of the water was going in to the cavity wall! So every time the we used the taps or washing machine the water would run in to the cavity wall which disturbed all the old smelly water which caused the smell!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: