Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE help... Mnetter doing some research

(30 Posts)
dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 11:03:25

Hi all,

Inspired by Nappybaglady's plans to go round the world with her kids we are planning to do the same.

In order to fund this jaunt we'll need to rent our house out to holidaymakers while we are away.

What would you pay (per day or per week) for:

A stunning 5 bedroom (3 ensuite) house in Cape Town (will easily sleep 6 adults and 2 kids).
It has truly beautiful views from a large patio with BBQ
In the heart of the Durbanville Winelands
A swimming pool
Beautifully decorated throughout
Comes with cleaner/cook
Has everything you might need if you have a baby
15 minutes from the beaches
Airconditioning in some of the bedrooms
Sandpit and playarea for littlies

PLEASE respond asap. I need your help a lot

dejags

Miaou Wed 16-Feb-05 11:12:17

Wow, dejags, sounds fantastic! Can't help with the pricing I'm afraid, not been on holiday for YEARS!

I'm sure you've thought of it, but build into your pricing some kind of fees for advertising/managing the lets - I can't imagine you will be handling that directly yourself while you are gallivanting round the world.

FineFigureFio Wed 16-Feb-05 11:13:34

dejags, can I be your friend ?

sorry have no idea of holiday costs either as we are campers

CountessDracula Wed 16-Feb-05 11:14:21

No idea about the local market, can you google some sites that have similar properties or ask an agent?

katzguk Wed 16-Feb-05 11:17:14

was going to suggest the same as Countess, have a look online at similar properties.

are you near a cricket ground? that might help, during an international you could chareg more

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 11:21:09

oops - there seems to be 2 threads... let's stick to just this one.

Considering the tickets to CT would be about £700 return for a direct flight - it's long haul but overnight with no time difference.

I was thinking £1000 per week (i.e. £166 pp per week kids go free?). Do you think that sounds OTT?

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 11:21:53

that would include the cleaner 5 days a week - she would be availble to do breakfasts and lunches.

katzguk Wed 16-Feb-05 11:24:01

1000 a week sounds fair

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 11:34:05

sounds a little light to me for 5 bedrooms (although we can just about afford centreparcs at the moment)

why don't you check out holiday homes on internet?

here's a starter

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 11:37:46

Sounds light to me too. Probably worth twice that!!!

You're looking at potential clients who generally stay in 5 star accommodation, which is frequently (in hotels), £250 per night

This sounds like 5 star accommodation but preferable to a hotel setting.

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 11:39:10

I think (if memory serves me right)I paid about £800 for a week in a very pleasant but quite modest 2 bedroom cottage in North Devon last year... i.e. your accommodation is light years better than that

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 11:39:21

twiglett - thanks a million, great site!!!

CountessDracula Wed 16-Feb-05 11:40:01

I think you will find that the local prices are a lot cheaper than rentals in the UK

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 11:57:10

I agree CD - there are people in CT who are charging exhorbitant prices. We would want £1000 - £1500 per week depending on time of year and number of people. The house has five big bedrooms so could actually sleep 10 adults quite comfortably.

OK anybody fancy a holiday in sunny Cape Town in Nov/Dec 05 or Jan/Feb 06?

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 11:57:16

True but it depends who dejags is marketing it to - i.e. locals or holiday accommodation for foreigners like us

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 11:58:27

Messages crossed. You're underselling it Dejags, but as it's your house that's entirely up to you!

Gwenick Wed 16-Feb-05 12:03:28

Dejags - going on the time of year you're planning on going I'd say charge the £1500 end of the scale you've given. I remember going to CT for Christmas/New Years several years ago (was only back packing but still) and it was a very popular destination, and accomdation (decent) was hard to come by. People will be willing to pay a 'premium' to spend time near Christmas in CT in a gorgeous house.

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 12:17:43

wow I am so excited - it seems feasible. We have 2 other houses which could easily be converted into guest accomodation too (that's another story though).

Ok so for your help discount code MN000123 entitles the bearer to a week's accomodation for £1250 during peak season 05/06..

Thanks everybody - I'll post the URL once we have got our webpage up and running.

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 12:19:01

I'd love to come and stay. But just because I think your house is worth more don't charge me more! Very happy to pay your rates.

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 12:21:37

Deal HMC!

I'll CAT you with the URL when it's ready. If you want further info sooner CAT me and I'll send it to you.

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 12:23:31

Hubby has been to Cape Town before. He would be just thrilled to go back with me and the kids

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 16:18:45

bump.. anybody else got any comments?

piffle Wed 16-Feb-05 16:23:25

I think that's really cheap too dejags
I'd expect to pay that for 3 beds tbh
If it does come off for you, can you offer an mn discount?
good luck

dejags Wed 16-Feb-05 18:02:24

Piffle - already done MN000123 buys a £250 a week discount = £1250 per week. The house is actually big enough to sleep 10 adults or 6 adults and four kids (sharing).

working on a website as we speak.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 16-Feb-05 18:10:54

dejags, we generally stay in rented houses when we're travelling, so I can provide a few tips.

1. Look on www.vrbo.com to find other similar properties. Last time I looked, this was the best site listing vacation rentals. I don't know how much it costs to list here, but I think it's a very good place to list. More important than your own webpage maybe? There are other websites doing the same thing, I'm sure, but this one is specifically for vacation rentals by property owners, rather than agencies. There are pictures, availability details, the whole shebang.

2. As much as possible, the property should be empty of personal stuff. People should be able to use the storage space for their stuff. No clothes, few books, etc etc.

3. Set the property up for entertaining - I know I always want to be able to have people over, and I suspect other people who travel this way are the same. Good cooking equipment, lots of plates etc.

4. Provide local information, guidebooks etc.

5. Make the cleaner optional. I like having a linen change etc once a week, but I don't like having someone coming in or hanging about all the time. It's nice to see the house as "mine" while I'm there. (Although I can see the cleaner is a protection against anyone trashing the place.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now