Talk

Advanced search

chav - please someone explain what this means!

(15 Posts)
Detta Tue 15-Feb-05 17:06:57

I keep seeing this word all over the place - and have a vague idea what it means, but don't really know! Please can someone enlighten me? (I'm sure if I wasn't a SAHM I would know this

Lonelymum Tue 15-Feb-05 17:10:56

I think some people see this as a contentious question Detta, but I will do my best to enlighten you although I asked the same question myself not long ago and there was a huge row going on about it and I think people thought I was stirring it up.

I think a chav is a bit like Essex girl or Essex man (oh boy I can see trouble brewing now) someone who wears showy clothes and jewellery but has no taste at all.

Twiglett Tue 15-Feb-05 17:13:04

chav

maltesers Tue 15-Feb-05 17:15:15

if you have teenagers they will tell you . I think it means you are a towny kind of person who wears baseball caps, Reebok trainers, and are have little taste. omg i am sounding like a snob.!

juniperdewdrop Tue 15-Feb-05 17:25:17

ROFLMAO at that site and at the Beckhams being off the scale!!!

Caligula Tue 15-Feb-05 17:38:06

Here's a link to a very heated thread which has many definitions!

angry chav thread

Detta Wed 16-Feb-05 16:50:26

Thanks! I was on the right lines then!

Amanda3266 Wed 16-Feb-05 16:53:13

Have to say I think the term chav was invented by middle class journalists as until I started seeing the term in the newspapers I'd never heard of it. Now you can't move for the word.

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 16-Feb-05 16:54:53

When I was at school Chav was used by the girls to describe a boy they really liked, like "He's a right chav" and the boys would use Beau for girls!

MarsLady Wed 16-Feb-05 16:55:27

Have you clicked on Twigs link? I went to name your chav baby. My daughter would be Jodie Sapphire and my son Elvis Kai. lol

highlander Wed 16-Feb-05 16:56:13

it's been around in Newcastle for years. Generally used to describe thieving low-life who live in Fenham, Byker, Blyth etc etc. Before you Geordies start having a go at me, that's how a local described chav to me!

Chavs love to dress in the Burberry check, known in Newcastle as Chavva Tartan

highlander Wed 16-Feb-05 16:59:05

OMG,OMG,OMG have just read the angry chav thread and realised my comments could re-ignite the whole arguement. Sorry, sorry, don't mean to offend anyone

paolosgirl Wed 16-Feb-05 17:03:27

We have neds here in Scotland. The only difference is they are not as classy as chavs. That gives you an idea - by the way, man (to use the patois)

nightowl Thu 17-Feb-05 00:24:07

there's no harm in asking what a word means. preferable to read the other thread though perhaps

givenupforlent Thu 17-Feb-05 00:24:48

There's a chav programme on tv on Monday (poss channel 4)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now