Talk

Advanced search

Any florists out there?

(8 Posts)
Jasmum Tue 15-Feb-05 15:43:19

I've got a beautiful hand tied bouquet of roses for valentines & don't know what to do with them.
In the past with roses the heads always go droopy on me. The instructions that came with them are just for a bouquet and not specifically for roses.
Any ideas to keep them good please?

Snugs Tue 15-Feb-05 15:49:59

Levanna is a florist

Jasmum Tue 15-Feb-05 17:11:22

bump

turquoise Tue 15-Feb-05 17:14:20

Bash the stems - and if there isn't any plant food in the bouquet stick some lemonade or a spoonful of sugar in the vase, and change the water daily. I'm not a florist though, so hopefuly someone who knows more will come along soon.

turquoise Tue 15-Feb-05 17:16:43

I mean just bash the bottom of the stems

bran Tue 15-Feb-05 17:41:26

If the roses start to droop take them out of the rest of the bunch, cut a little bit off the off the stems, and put the bottom of the stems into about an inch of boiling water (in a cup so that you can wash it, not straight into the kettle) for 10 or 20 seconds, then put the roses back in the vase. This also works for gerberas.

Sadly, the roses that you get on Valentines day/Mother's day are often more likely to droop as they will have been 'forced' to bloom for a certain date are usually aren't as robust the the roses you get at other times.

BTW - I'm not a florist, but my mum is.

Levanna Wed 16-Feb-05 00:19:12

either of the tips already given (particularly hot water) are good for roses. You might also find that adding literally a drop of bleach to their water helps, they suffer in dirty water so change it every couple of days to help them.

Levanna Wed 16-Feb-05 00:28:00

Click on 'caring for flowers and plants' under 'Flower and plant care' here for more info .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now