Talk

Advanced search

I think I have an invention...

(38 Posts)
EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:11:28

...Never seen it before, very very practical and I think it could work.

What do I do???

CountessDracula Fri 15-Aug-08 16:12:21

Tell me
<cunning emoticon>

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 15-Aug-08 16:13:53

Don't tell us !!!

patent office

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 15-Aug-08 16:14:07

Har har CD

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:14:43

haha.

I am sooo tempted but won't grin

Thankyou!

Jackstini Fri 15-Aug-08 16:14:45

Dragons Den! grin

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:16:55

I don't have much money, is there anyway I can approach someone for free?

MaureenMLove Fri 15-Aug-08 16:19:58

I could help you. Tel me your ideas.<<evil childcatcher-like emoticon>> grin

Can't really, I'm skint!grin

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:23:28

grin

It's doing my head in keep thinking about it!

Hassled Fri 15-Aug-08 16:25:34

You need to think of a company (preferably small rather than some greedy patent-grabbing multinational) who could manufacture a prototype for a small sum. Then you hawk it round possible retailers. But patent the idea first.

Go on, tell us - you know you want to

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:33:20

It's something that I cannot believe hasn't been done-for parents. That's all im saying!

So you could end up patenting a crap idea that no-one wants to produce?

Hassled Fri 15-Aug-08 16:39:06

Yes, but I don't know how much patenting costs - it could just be a nominal amount, and it might not be a crap idea. All the more reason why you need feedback from parents on, I dunno - something like a parenting forum wink?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 16:40:17

The guy who did the wind up radio has a company that assesses inventions. There are different levels of advice you can buy in to- but if they like the idea they take it on and you get a big cut.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 16:41:20

Worldwide patents are very expensive and you need to able to defend them if broken or no point having them.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 16:42:16

here trevor bayliss this is a really useful site.

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:42:20

This is the thing-I don't know where to start. Im so skint that can't really pay out some money unless I know it will work IYSWIM. It's a risk. I mean, I have told a couple of people and they think it is brilliant. I do too. Just can't afford to waste any money!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 16:43:31

The basic trevor Bayliss service is £199. If it's a real goer they will offer to take it on for you.

Jazzicatz Fri 15-Aug-08 16:44:49

First before speaking to anyone about it contact the patent office to do a search. Then if you decide to continue you will need to patent your product and you can either attempt to apply to banks, business angels or other companies for money and produce the product yourself or appraoch a company who maybe interested in investing or taking on your idea and you would then sell them the licence to produce your project. However, it is imperarive that you have a prototype made to show potential investors - without this it is very difficult to secure any funding. Good luck with it!

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:44:51

Cool-have sent off for the free pack

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:45:52

Thanks Jazz

wannaBe Fri 15-Aug-08 16:51:44

it takes years to get a full patent. In that time you need to be working on getting your business up and running.

Market research is vital before you actually do anything, because if you really can't afford the outlay, then you need to be absolutely positive that this is going to make money so as to justify any loan you might take out to finance it.

You can only find out if there is a market, so in actual fact it's not a bad idea to say what the invention is, because you will get a fair range of opinions on here.

Jazzicatz Fri 15-Aug-08 16:54:43

It does take ages for a patent but there are rules which mean just because patent is pending does not mean someone can come along and nick your idea. The only thing about patent is you have to have enough money to take those that contravene your patent to court - this is one of the reasons it is so difficult for inventors to make it as often larger companies just come along and steal your idea.

LippyGobshite Fri 15-Aug-08 16:55:15

Is it a machine that does the washing up whilst wiping infantile snot and bums and plays football and Barbie for hours on end and makes you a cup of tea and tells you you're marvellous then does the hoovering and prints out tenners?

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:56:21

It's a product, not a business.

Will it really take that long?!

EdieMcredie Fri 15-Aug-08 16:57:30

LGS-How did you guess??!!

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now