Talk

Advanced search

Did you get a Valentine card from your child?

(34 Posts)
ponygirl Mon 14-Feb-05 14:48:15

I got a Valentine from ds1. He's 6. I knew it was coming (he's crap at keeping secrets!) and I wasn't very comfortable with it, but am even less happy now I've seen that it says "from your secret admirer". He made this at school - is it just me that doesn't think this is appropriate? He made one last year when he was in reception and before at pre-school, but he's 6 now and I rather thought they wouldn't do it any more. Am I over-reacting or does anyone else think this is odd?

Tinker Mon 14-Feb-05 14:50:09

Don't think it's odd for your child to send you one (mine does, doesn't really understand what V's Day is about) but do think it odd and inappropriate for the school to be getting them to make it.

biglips Mon 14-Feb-05 15:09:20

i think that is sweet !

connyflower Mon 14-Feb-05 15:10:47

i think its sweet too just telling there mam they love you, think its nice i helped my god daughter the other day to make a card for her mamy telling her she loves her millions,

horseshoe Mon 14-Feb-05 15:11:36

Valentines day is about telling someone you love them...in my eyes anyway.

So we send all the kids cards and they send us them.

not sure I would of encouraged the secret admirer thing though as a name is enough.

Lonelymum Mon 14-Feb-05 15:12:01

My ds2 (aged 7) made one for me at Beavers but has so far forgotten to give it to me. I think the card alone is sweet, but perhaps the words from your secret admirer aren't exactly appropriate.

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 15:12:10

valentine is romantic love .. I can see why you're uncomfortable with it

with mother's day round the corner it just doesn't seem appropriate

connyflower Mon 14-Feb-05 15:13:14

yeah secret admirer is maybe a bt ott at there age, but i think at there age its all about just telling there mammys n daddys they love them

Tinker Mon 14-Feb-05 15:13:46

Exactly Twiglett. It's not (yet) this American telling everyone that you love them fest.

ponygirl Mon 14-Feb-05 15:15:00

Yes, Twiglett, that was what I thought. I think V's days is about romantic, adult love. But maybe we're in the minority! <shrug>

Beetroot Mon 14-Feb-05 15:15:22

Message withdrawn

beansprout Mon 14-Feb-05 15:17:43

It is lovely but as others have said, it's odd that they are encouraged to make them. That said, when I got dp's card there were loads in the shop for "mummy" and "to daddy". Eugh!!!

beansprout Mon 14-Feb-05 15:18:19

Meant to add - hey, good opportunity for the card makers to maximise profits though, eh?

NameChangingMancMidlander Mon 14-Feb-05 15:19:00

I don't get them from the kids, I agree that it's a day for celebrating romantic love. DS is just telling you that he loves you, but 'secret admirer' is not a 6 year old's phrase, IMO, so I do think it's inappropriate on the part of whoever helped DS make/write the card. I wouldn't make a big fuss about it though, TBH.

FineFigureFio Mon 14-Feb-05 15:19:47

my 3 yr old has made me one from nursery, dont think it had to be for me as it said "to someone special" I was quite chuffed as I get bugger all off dh, i mean the time he bought me a birthday card for our anniversary took the biscuit

it is all commercial crap anyway

beety pmsl at your brother!

Beetroot Mon 14-Feb-05 15:19:51

Message withdrawn

NameChangingMancMidlander Mon 14-Feb-05 15:20:01

PMSL @ 'you make me feel horny'

Beetroot Mon 14-Feb-05 15:44:13

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Mon 14-Feb-05 15:45:03

I'd just be happy with a card. Any card. From anyone. Even David Hassellhoff.

tex111 Mon 14-Feb-05 15:45:16

I look at it as a day to send cards to all the people you love (but then I am American). DS made cards for all of his grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and me and DH. It was great fun and everyone loved their cards.

Cod Mon 14-Feb-05 15:45:38

Message withdrawn

Beansmum Mon 14-Feb-05 15:45:52

I want a card from my ds! or anyone really.

Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 15:54:44

I thought it was a bit weird the year dsd was with us for Valentines Day and got a card through the post from her mum. She put in it something like "you were made with lots of love". Heaven knows what that was all about, because she hasn't bothered this year. I just thought it totally inappropriate as, like others I think Valentines Day is about romantic love.

SeaShells Mon 14-Feb-05 15:56:08

No, but DS 6 has been asking where his is all day, might have to make him one just to shut him up!

tarantula Mon 14-Feb-05 16:10:23

We always used to make one for our Mum when I was in primary school (any excuse to get to do art for the afternoon) think its lovely. Hope that my dd will be making me one (not sure dp is up to doing anything with her tho as shes only 13 mnths). Main problem is that the English language doesnt have seperate words for diff kinds of love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now