Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about Mooncups and the coil.... TMI for the sensitive (probably)

(24 Posts)
winestein Tue 12-Aug-08 19:38:51

I have just had a coil fitted today and I was told not to use tampons for the first 2 periods as they can dry the vagina and pull the coil out with it. However, I use a mooncup and neither my doctor or nurse had ever heard of one, and as such have told me to use a towel.

I have to confess, after becoming a true mooncup convert the thought of using towels absolutely fills me with horror, thus I am now filled with horror. I WANT MY MOONCUP!! (These are words I never imagined I would need to say but hey ho)

Any experience/knowledge/general advice. The thing I am clinging on to is the fact that a mooncup, in no way dries ones nether bits...

Could I?

Should I?

Thanks smile

FrannyandZooey Tue 12-Aug-08 19:40:29

hmm
no knowledge but one word for you:

suction

I wouldn't try it. If you have to use sanitary towels the natracare ones are least revolting

BBBee Tue 12-Aug-08 19:42:52

agree franny for next 2 periods - just grit your teeth.

i have coil and mooncup and has never been an issue (but only started using after coil fitted)

winestein Tue 12-Aug-08 19:43:06

Damn. You are the expert too. I know sad

Maybe if I prick a hole in it?? [brightens] [dim]

winestein Tue 12-Aug-08 19:44:37

Thanks BBBee. I thunk. wink

This is the first time I have posted on Mumsnet and not been genuinely glad of the advice!!! grin

FrannyandZooey Tue 12-Aug-08 19:48:07

well I am only guessing
I would ring mooncup, I bet they love an interesting question like this instead of "what do I do in public toilets?"

I know I do

BBBee Tue 12-Aug-08 19:48:59

oh but we have your best interests at heart, and you don;t have to listen - I do not plan to come round and check wink

FrannyandZooey Tue 12-Aug-08 19:49:59

I might though [scary stalker]

policywonk Tue 12-Aug-08 19:50:33

'Scuse me whiny

Franny/BBB, I have a mooncup q (only used it for the first time last month). It keeps poking out (have cut stem off). When I insert it it's fine, but it seems to work its way down and becomes really quite uncomfortable within an hour or so. Is it cos I is well slack?

BBBee Tue 12-Aug-08 19:53:59

um, er, franny?

policywonk Tue 12-Aug-08 19:58:46

This silence cannot be a good thing.

winestein Tue 12-Aug-08 19:59:14

lolling wildly! grin

I can answer that one Policy, having been a sufferer myself... when you insert, squeeze all the air out with your finger and thumb and then allow the vacuum (a really uncomfortable part of me appreciates what you said Franny) to find a place. It really worked for me. I found the whole dropping out thing got worse as the period progressed - not witht he vacuum technique smile

PS Are you on Facebook PW?

FrannyandZooey Tue 12-Aug-08 20:01:48

PW you could have the wrong size (too small or too large)
or you could be very slack, yes, but you would almost certainly have noticed problems before
winestein's advice sounds good - and make sure you have proper suction by running finger all the way round to make sure it is unfurled

about 3 people have now asked me this question and I am wondering if some people are just a different shape and it doesn't work so well for them? but I would persevere and try altering your technique

policywonk Tue 12-Aug-08 20:08:54

Righto, thanks. I will have a go at that next time. I think I have changed shape quite dramatically after DS2's birth so it might be something to do with that. But it's possible that you don't want me to describe this in great detail.

Not on FB winey but you can email me on policywonker at googlemail dot com if you want to (mind you I just tried to log in to check that this was still working and it told me the site was unavailable so it's possible I've broken it). I'm a bit frightened of FB.

Dare I ask what happened with your darling dog?

FrannyandZooey Tue 12-Aug-08 20:10:27

"it's possible that you don't want me to describe this in great detail"

possible yes but not probable [nosey]

policywonk Tue 12-Aug-08 20:13:12

Well it feels as though a part of the vagina almost obstructs the opening - not a prolapse (she says quickly) but as though my vagina veers off wildly towards my back as soon as one gets past the opening.

WELL YOU DID ASK

FrannyandZooey Tue 12-Aug-08 20:14:32

yes and v interesting too
<stores information in worrying part of brain devoted to fanjos>

BBBee Tue 12-Aug-08 20:40:29

i think there is more variation than you imagine - my mum was told by a nurse during her smear that her cervix pointed a different way - like she had a sudden upwards turn towards her womb and my sister is the same.

I suppose in size and dimensions it would vary in the same way the penis does and so some would not be ss suited as others maybe? hmm

policywonk Tue 12-Aug-08 20:49:25

I'm sure you're right BBB. Only gynae/obs professionals and Rod Stewart will ever see enough to fully appreciate the variety, I suppose.

purpleprincess Tue 12-Aug-08 20:54:31

To go back to the original question (presuming you still want it answered!) I had been using a mooncup on and off (mainly off) when had coil fitted nearly year ago. The advice to not use tampons spurred me on and now use mooncup all the time and no problems - think if you check their website it says you can use with coil. interestingly the nurse who helped fit my coil also hadn't heard of mooncup. the first period when you have to use towels is grim but settles down afte that. Good luck!

FrannyandZooey Tue 12-Aug-08 21:17:53

I actually find tampons more upsetting than towels, now I am used to the mooncup
the idea of sticking manky cotton wool up there is quite odd

winestein Tue 12-Aug-08 21:24:46

Thanks PP smile I am going to phone Mooncup and ask them the specific question of how long afterwards - I think it is a question that we all (well some of us) need answering (anything to avoid using bloody [literal emoticon] towels!!)

Policy - darling doggy is still dragging himself around - managed to stop the ulceration but only for the time being, I know. Poor thing is in limbo between being kind of ok and needing to be put to sleep atm (a bit like me'sen really). Will email (but will you let me know on here if you really did break it, and I will search to see on one of my sporadic visits smile I'm woman@the-boozer.com if you have another secret address that you haven't broken wink

winestein Tue 12-Aug-08 21:25:41

I still prefer tampons due to not being able to see anything/less leakage potential...

lojoesmammy Wed 20-Aug-08 23:39:16

I know this thread was last week.
BUT, I know a lady whose mooncup pulled her coil out!! Our mutual friend, who works for Family Planning told me that they always recomend you do not use either tampons or mooncups for your first two periods now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now