Talk

Advanced search

Is any one else supporting Mary King this afternoon in the Olympic eventing competition?

(36 Posts)
Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 11:23:56

Can't wait!

[Sorry didn't know where to post this - why isn't there a sport section in Mumsnet - or have I overlooked it???]

It should be a nail-biting show-jumping round...

I really admire her dedication and bravery (especially recovery from breaking her neck in 2001). Not many other 47 year old women competing in the Olympics. Go Mary!!

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 11:27:47

I was about to say 'who is Mary King'? I'm not into the Olympics at all, but I do know that an old friends gf is in the show jumping for Australia, so I guess I should be watching to cheer her on(I have no idea what her name is or what she looks like), though I know that it's not my country she's representing. Oooops!

lilymolly Tue 12-Aug-08 11:28:40

Love her

Her x c was fabulous esp the 2nd from last fence, the double hedges where her horse LEAPED over the second fence- what a horse envy
Made we weep (pregancy hormones)
Hope the team get a medal too x

tiredemma Tue 12-Aug-08 11:33:56

My Cousins partner is competing as part of the British equestrian team in the Paralympics. I intend to cheer him on!

MarsLady Tue 12-Aug-08 11:35:08

I am even though I don't understand the Equestrian events.

Go Mary!

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 11:40:34

lol Marslady!!

Won't hold it against you Solo wink

and 'go' cousin's partner of tiredemma (when the time comes)!!!

oh yes LilyMolly THAT jump - what a horse!!
you never know about that medal ... fingers, toes, paws and hoooves crossed here ....

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 11:42:52

grin...are you horse mad by any chance?! wink

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 12:07:01

some might say just the 'mad' bit Solo!!

but never really grew out of that adolescent 'besotted' phase it has to be said...

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:12:57

I like horses, they are pretty animals, beautiful creatures, but I've never been lucky enough to ride one - unless you count Oscar the pony at the campsite when I was 11.

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 12:32:27

used to ride in my youth Solo ... now have to make do with dd's Fisher Price stable ... [sad old woman emoticon]

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:34:55

Awww! good memories though eh?

lilymolly Tue 12-Aug-08 12:36:41

I cant ride at the moment (pregnant) so dhorse is away at the riding for the disabled for a year at a friends yard to help special needs children and adults ride

[proud emoticon]

MrsJohnCusack Tue 12-Aug-08 12:36:50

oh yes me! but am going to have to go to bed and miss it (it's 11.30pm here)

Volkl Tue 12-Aug-08 12:38:03

oh i am glued to it! I cannot wait for the SJ. I have met Mary many times and she is so lovely and so talented, as you have already mentioned the leap that horse did, she's one very strong rider!

GO TEAM GB!!! <--little cheesy!

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 12:42:37

Oh yes, hoping dd will take up the reins so to speak ...

funnily enough, I used to ride an Oscar too, he was a huge old carthorse x (no idea what he was doing in a riding school tbh) ... to say he was "steady" was almost an understatement ... comatose would be more accurate ....my dear departed pa got him to canter once .. I remember the riding school owner nearly dying of shock when she saw them racing up the hill, forelocks blowing in the wind etc...

.. now I'm the one bordering on comatose grin

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 12:46:46

sorry x posts - great to see yet more supporters posting!

how fantastic LillyMolly - used to volunteer for RDA in Notts when I was young - they do brilliant work - he must be a gentleman (and congrats on your pregnancy btw)

oh you have a special cheesiness dispensation for today Volkl!!

Mrs John Cusack - is it really on at 11.30pm - I thought it was on this afternoon??? Oh no!!

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:49:20

What side is it on and at what time?

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 12:51:33

Not sure but this is from the BBC site:

Tuesday 12 August

1215-1800: Team and individual eventing jumping final

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:52:06

Oscar at the camp site was a grey colour and his friend was BlackJack...he was erm...black. He was my little brothers ride grin<fond memories>

solo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:53:25

Oooh! thanks! I will probably miss it, I have to go out soon. <sigh>

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 13:08:20

yes I must go and continue making an Olympic podium with dd out of three white shoeboxes .. going to have to fashion something for the flags ... she is currently making the medals out of red ribbon and bits of gold, silver and bronze wrapping paper ...

catch up later!

tiredemma Tue 12-Aug-08 13:34:42

this is the chap that we will be cheering on

[[http://www.equestrianteamgbr.com/rider-detail.php?id=16 ]]

tiredemma Tue 12-Aug-08 13:35:02

argh

www.equestrianteamgbr.com/rider-detail.php?id=16

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 12-Aug-08 15:03:17

Well, bronze ain't bad!! Well done team GB! Felt so sorry for MK - at last three jumps as well ...

Still there is always the individual competition ... the top contenders are only one jump apart ...

It's back on in about 1 hr and 20 mins or so

Thanks for link Tired Emma - particularly impressive when you consider the muscle strength and stamina it takes to ride competitively - and imagine not being able to retrieve your stirrup should you lose it ... go Ricky!!

Birdly Thu 14-Aug-08 07:59:05

Only just seen this thread - I too have been searching for the 'sports' section here!

Wasn't Tina fantastic in the individual competition? An amazing horse she's got there, by the look of it.

Did you see the interviews after the XC when William Fox-Pitt apologised for his heart-in-mouth leap over the last fence?! Hell's bells, talk about long and flat! shock

I'm not quite so 'up' on the dressage and showjumping as I am on eventing - but I'm cheering Tim Stockdale on as his wife is a friend of a friend! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now