Talk

Advanced search

Venue in London that epitomises calm

(15 Posts)
joshandjamie Mon 11-Aug-08 14:20:18

hi

I'm in need of some venue suggestions in London for a corporate event that epitomises calm, serenity, oasis, sanctuary from the busy-ness of everyday life.

Not sure if it's a spa I want but somewhere that is serene. Not a church either as it's not religious.

Any ideas?
Thanks

hanaflower Mon 11-Aug-08 14:20:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bink Mon 11-Aug-08 14:34:19

Further to hanaflower's idea - Chelsea Physic Garden

CountessDracula Mon 11-Aug-08 14:36:51

size?

How about this though make sure you book for a day when the planes aren't overhead (they have the schedules) otherwise not calm)

joshandjamie Mon 11-Aug-08 16:26:53

thanks will look at all the links. I don't need anywhere too big - probably no more than 50 people.

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 11-Aug-08 16:29:27

I went here for my hen do with my sister and a few friends, For me it was all the things you describe. It was in 2002 though.. not sure what it is like now. smile

zipzap Mon 11-Aug-08 18:12:43

If you want something that is a bit different, how about Skinners Hall in the City?

It's old and pretty, you go through a gate and little tunnel and find yourself in a lovely courtyard, a real little oasis and not what you are expecting. It's one of the Guild Halls - home of the worshipful company of skinners. Also has a fountain roof garden and beautiful indoor rooms.

And it has a fab address - 8 1/2 Dowgate Hill

It won't have the spa ambience of a spa/ hotel but you definitely have a feeling of stepping off the street and into another world and time... Definitely serene, with that sense of calm and away from everyday life.

They are used to doing weddings and corporate events. I had my wedding there - that's how I know about it! But everybody who went to the wedding was really impressed and surprised (nicely!) by the venue. And as it is in the City it is very convenient - very close to Cannon St station etc. And as venues went, I seem to remember that they were very reasonable price-wise and the food was exceptionally yummy. ah, happy days smile.

good luck! let us know where you find...

funnypeculiar Mon 11-Aug-08 18:14:05

wow at zipzaps - that looks SO cool!

peoniesaremyfavourite Mon 11-Aug-08 18:21:12

I don't know if this is what you're thinking of or not but it is a very special place. the special yoga centre

CountessDracula Mon 11-Aug-08 18:23:32

oh if not too big then the conservatory at Ransome's Dock is ideal
it is a bit of an oasis and has nice roof terrace and is VERY cheap to hire and has no corkage iirc

The woman who deals with the bookings is lovely and really laid back too! You can cover in candles etc it looks v pretty and is ideal for 50 people I would say.

Only prob is no good if you have any people in wheelchairs etc as the loo is down a spiral staircase (long one)

here

MegBusset Mon 11-Aug-08 18:26:53

Kensington Roof Gardens or the Orangery at Kensington Palace Gardens are lovely, also Waterlow Park in Highgate.

MegBusset Mon 11-Aug-08 18:31:51

Kensington Roof Gardens -- even has its own flamingoes!

The Orangery

Lauderdale House in Waterlow Park

CountessDracula Mon 11-Aug-08 18:34:41

Roof Gardens too big surely - though I guess you can get a bit of it and a marquee or something?

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Aug-08 20:12:02

Skinners Hall looks fab

joshandjamie Mon 11-Aug-08 22:32:15

wow those all look fab. very early days right now but just wanted some ideas. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now