Talk

Advanced search

swimming with my 13 month old - any advice appreciated

(7 Posts)
Eilatan Sun 10-Aug-08 21:10:44

Have taken him once to local baths and basically sat with him in baby pool and bounced and sploshed. He liked it most of the time. He wanted to get into the prone position and swim but when he tried he wasn't keen on water in face/up nose and I was a bit too timid to let him try to see if he could float/swim. Can anyone offer adivce. Should I try little water wings?

Cheers

merryandmad Sun 10-Aug-08 21:36:09

Do they have any sessions specifically for babies and toddlers. Our local baths has an aqua tots session, where they put toys, ducks, watering cans floats etc in the pool for them to try?
To be honest not sure if a 13month old would stand having water wings on, they do restrist a little bit- push his arms out sideways IYSWIM.
I suggest taking him a few more times- just to get used to the environment as much as anything (smells sounds etc - swimming baths are quite strange for a lo)
Good luck and keep it up x

fishie Sun 10-Aug-08 21:41:18

ds was curled like a little prawn in water (although very enthusiastic) and only became able to straighten up about 3yo. bounce and splosh is exactly the way to go, get confidence up.

snorkle is the poster you need, let us hope she sees...

Eilatan Sun 10-Aug-08 21:44:15

Sounds good. He coped very well. sunday afternoons is a family sesh and there were floating tea pots and watering cans which he liked. I'll loo into baby sessions but once I'm back at work (school = Sept) I won't be able to. Sundays are good. I wasn't sure about wings - I had visions of him with his arms pushed out by them but still getting his face in the water. I think he'll get there!

Cheers
X

cmotdibbler Sun 10-Aug-08 21:50:52

DS (2)has a float suit so that he is boyant in the water, but unencumbered - it also acts as some insulation. We only go on a Sunday afternoon (with all the other working mums), and he loves going - especially when there are others of his age there. We spend a lot of time with him climbing in and out of the pool now so that he can jump in, but also do a lot of swooshing, propelling him on my arms like a speedboat, and general staring at people (his favoured activity)

Eilatan Sun 10-Aug-08 22:22:42

That sounds fab.

Yes, my little love stared. I suppose it's the one time in your life you can stare at the swimming pool and get away with it!

I'll google float suit!

Cheers

Eilatan Sun 10-Aug-08 22:24:18

Fishie I'll keep splashing and hope snorkle emerges sometime soon!!!
Cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now