Talk

Advanced search

Rate my complaint letter to Holiday Inn in Haydock

(29 Posts)
NormaStanleyBelcher Sat 09-Aug-08 22:02:15

comments welcome

My son was working at the racecourse this evening and went into your hotel for a drink on his way home. He is 19 and was asked for ID when he went to the bar, and he showed his driving licence, which they accepted, and he was served a drink.

Less than 5 minutes later, once he was seated, another member of staff came out and asked to see ID. He showed them the same ID, the driving licence, and was told that it is company policy not to accept that as ID and was asked to leave. He tells me that he was pushed out of the hotel.

How can your bar staff accept ID that is against your policy, and so accept his money, only for him to be ejected by another member of staff without the opportunity to drink the pint of beer he just paid for?

It is unfair to him, and having spoken to the duty manager at the hotel he said that no refund is possible as he was following your policy. He also refused to admit that the bar staff or himself were at fault. Surely one of them must have been. He also confirmed that the ONLY reason my son was ejected was because the only ID he had was a driving licence, there were no other issues.

If this went on in most shops or bars what would the outcome be? We will take your money and then eject you before you have had a chance to drink the beer you have paid for or carry away your shopping bags?

I personally have used your hotels many times for work and have a priority card. I will not do this any more. Many of my colleagues (in a company of over 10,000 in the UK) travel, and I will be encouraging them not to stay with you either. We are usually given a choice of 3 or 4 hotels in the same area, and Holiday Inn will no longer be one that I stay in.

Yours,

Norma

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 22:04:12

superb - send it asap

AddictedToMyEarplugs Sat 09-Aug-08 22:08:02

Good one, you could ask what ID they do accept..I mean what else do people carry that comes to hand apart from a driving licence? And why is a driving licence not accpetable?! what a stupid policy.

I'm not going to stay in one again either as a matter of principle!

oi Sat 09-Aug-08 22:10:01

I think your last paragraph is too agressive. I think you should state the facts (about having a priority card and using their hotels for work) and then IMPLY how disappointed you are so they think you are thinking about not using them but haven't come to that conclusion yet.

I find they are more likely to come back with some sort of resolution/offer iyswim.

NormaStanleyBelcher Sat 09-Aug-08 22:15:17

My son was working at the racecourse this evening and went into your hotel for a drink on his way home. He is 19 and was asked for ID when he went to the bar, and he showed his driving licence, which they accepted, and he was served a drink.

Less than 5 minutes later, once he was seated, another member of staff came out and asked to see ID. He showed them the same ID, the driving licence, and was told that it is company policy not to accept that as ID and was asked to leave. He tells me that he was pushed out of the hotel.

How can your bar staff accept ID that is against your policy, and so accept his money, only for him to be ejected by another member of staff without the opportunity to drink the pint of beer he just paid for?

It is unfair to him, and having spoken to the duty manager at the hotel he said that no refund is possible as he was following your policy. He also refused to admit that the bar staff or himself were at fault. Surely one of them must have been. He also confirmed that the ONLY reason my son was ejected was because the only ID he had was a driving licence, there were no other issues.

If this went on in most shops or bars what would the outcome be? We will take your money and then eject you before you have had a chance to drink the beer you have paid for or carry away your shopping bags?

I personally have used your hotels many times for work and have a priority card. I am so disappointed by this incident that I may have to rethink where I stay, and where I recommend to colleagues.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Etc etc

How about that

AddictedToMyEarplugs Sat 09-Aug-08 22:16:54

I don't think you need the second to last paragraph.

Lay it on with a trowel about how disapointed you are with this service though as oi says.

alkar Sat 09-Aug-08 22:17:21

Only live round the corner from the racecourse, it gets so hectic in ashton when the races are on I'm suprised they had time to kick him out. It was wrong of them to take his money first.

oi Sat 09-Aug-08 22:17:50

yes better. Your poor son. That is outrageous. They sound like the hotel was full of heavies!

ajandjjmum Sat 09-Aug-08 22:21:03

Do a review on the hotel on Tripadvisor - I think that the majority of hotels keeps an eye on this.

NormaStanleyBelcher Sat 09-Aug-08 22:21:17

I have to say that he came back FUMING and soooooooooo pissed off grin

theyoungvisiter Sat 09-Aug-08 22:22:32

how awful! Agree I like the second letter better - a bit less aggressive but makes the same point. And agree the second to last paragraph is redundant.

I think you should also state what you want from them - ie a written apology and/or a refund of your son's money (at the very least I should think).

They basically stole his money after all - if they have a policy then fair's fair - but if a member of staff made a mistake in taking his money in the first place then they should either honour the mistake or rectify the mistake by returning the money.

CarGirl Sat 09-Aug-08 22:25:44

I am intrigued to know what ID they do accept if not a full photo driving licence what else is there?

NormaStanleyBelcher Sat 09-Aug-08 22:27:58

erm?

Once his ID has been scrutinised and his money accepted then surely a contract or agreement has been entered into. I would like to know how you plan to compensate my son, and what measures are being put in place to ensure that your bar staff do not serve drinks that customers are not allowed to drink.

I personally have used your hotels many times for work and have a priority card. I am so disappointed by this incident that I may have to rethink where I stay, and where I recommend to colleagues.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Etc etc

AddictedToMyEarplugs Sat 09-Aug-08 22:34:08

Great, precise and to the point. You are pointing out what went wrong, asking them how they'll prevent it happening again plus asking how they're going to compensate your lad.

theyoungvisiter Sat 09-Aug-08 22:35:08

love it. Post it now and please post their (hopefully grovelling) response.

BTW I don't know who you are sending it to, but I think you should address it to the manager at Haydock but cc it to the head of customer services/complaints or something at head office, you tend you get a MUCH better response the higher you go, plus if the manager knows your complaint is being read by his boss then he will think carefully before brushing it under the carpet.

ajandjjmum Sat 09-Aug-08 22:44:00

Perhaps phone up first and get the name of the Manager.

NormaStanleyBelcher Sat 09-Aug-08 22:48:42

I am sending it to head office - and will print it off and send it to general manager of that particular hotel.

Must ring now and get name of duty manager...

NormaStanleyBelcher Sat 09-Aug-08 23:27:18

Message withdrawn

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Aug-08 23:59:03

I would actually get on to trading standards - they also deal with weights and measures. (this is a faff if they come round and start going through everything - such a time tacker as they literally measure everything)

But explain to trading standards that a uk driving licence is apparently not acceptable as suitable ID. Explain that they let your son buy a pint after seeing id and then a second id inspection was required after purchase and then it was decided that company policy was to not accept driving licences.

Curious as to what do haydock accept as ID? Pehaps a gun licence would be better wink

If trading standards get the complaints through (your son may be one of many) then they will act on the information given, but they can give you details as to whether company policy is a load of crap and they are possible breaking the law. (which I suspect they are but not 100% sure)

NormaStanleyBelcher Sun 10-Aug-08 00:05:10

oh thanks for that - will get on to trading standards on monday

vonsudenfed Sun 10-Aug-08 00:07:59

And while you're at it, mention it to the local paper...

gigglewitch Sun 10-Aug-08 00:09:24

shock we went there for our Christmas 'do' last year, work thing - the bar staff were clueless but this is complete incompetence. The most recent version of the letter looks spot on <wink should we each send one?>
The thing is, if they offer him a freebie there, would he / you take it? hmm

gigglewitch Sun 10-Aug-08 00:11:23

good one vonsudenfed grin
... contact the local rag!

NormaStanleyBelcher Sun 10-Aug-08 00:12:17

oh yes - to the hilt

and ask to be served by the fecker who threw him out

ShinyPinkShoes Sun 10-Aug-08 00:20:23

You left your real name in the last version you posted Norma so you might like to get that delated.

Great letter though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now