Talk

Advanced search

How much would you spend on a 5th birthday party?

(22 Posts)
rickman Sat 12-Feb-05 22:17:35

Message withdrawn

sallystrawberry Sat 12-Feb-05 22:18:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Sat 12-Feb-05 22:18:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:19:27

i'm planning dd1 birthday party next month, hiring soft play for 15kids (i think, might be 10) £150, then party bags and cake on top. so another £30 max.

rickman Sat 12-Feb-05 22:19:30

Message withdrawn

SueW Sat 12-Feb-05 22:20:46

I'm sure you could reduce that food bill and the party bag price could come down too (loook at the BookPeople for some great packs of books that work out about 70p each, a mini bag of haribos/choc bar and a balloon).

Aimsmum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:20:48

Message withdrawn

Evesmama Sat 12-Feb-05 22:21:23

book a 'playroom' soft play, ball pools, room to run around(sports centres usually)
paid around £45 pounds for dd's last year and although it was her 1st birthday, lots of 3,4 and 5yr old going and accomadated all with different levels of activity...then made up plates of food myself which was cheaper than boxes etc.
maybe do a pass the parcel with cheaper little toys rather than a goody bag, i didnt have one and just cos its the norm, doesnt mean you have to do it..also scrap the entertainer..kids will love running around and being mad!!

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:22:19

are you inviting the whole class? i told dd1 we can invite her cousins, and a few friendds from nursery/school.

Gwenick Sat 12-Feb-05 22:23:05

Scrap the party bags - just give them each a piece of cake to take home and maybe a balloon or similar.

sansouci Sat 12-Feb-05 22:29:56

I'd pay to have someone clean up after!

Dd went to 5 yr old's party today. All the kids were asked to "dress up"... boys seemed to like the pirate look while girls favoured H&M's tiaras, wands, fairy wings and ballet tights. The was a birthday cake and fizzy drinks as well as a clown who made balloon thingies. It was v. simple & lots of fun.

Earlybird Sat 12-Feb-05 22:51:59

DD has had several invitations to parties given by two children who are classmates at nursery, but unrelated. For example "Anna and Elizabeth invite you to their 4th birthday party at xxx". Presumably it's a good way to halve costs, and also means that there's not quite so many parties to go to. Would it be an option to team up with another parent for a dual party to share expenses?

nutcracker Sat 12-Feb-05 22:58:03

My Dd1 had her 5th birthday at a Wacky Warehouse type place and it cost me less than 100 quid for sole use of the ball pool and food and party bags.

sansouci Sat 12-Feb-05 23:03:16

Good idea but my dd is not into sharing right now. She'd flip if she had to share HER BIRTHDAY. Maybe she is a bit spoilt?!

unicorn Sat 12-Feb-05 23:07:41

dd shared her 5th birthday with 2 of her classmates, and it was fine.. we had 3 cakes, and sang Happy Birthday 3 times!!!

The entertainer used all 3 girls and everyone was very happy (particularly us parents ho divided the costs betwixt us ).

Earlybird Sat 12-Feb-05 23:08:04

sansouci - think a joint party would definitely have to be shared with a good friend, and you'd have to stress the fact that dd would still get just as many presents!

sansouci Sat 12-Feb-05 23:11:10

i'm really interested in this cos dd's best friend was born in the same week as dd. Will test the waters & ask her tomorrow.

rickman Sat 12-Feb-05 23:12:15

Message withdrawn

sansouci Sat 12-Feb-05 23:18:21

One thing is for sure... I will not rent the reception area of a smart hotel with clown, waiters, champagne for parents, etc. like a friend of mine did for her dd's 5th. Cringe-o! Even if I could afford it.

Cristina7 Sun 13-Feb-05 00:35:07

We did our son's 5th birthday at the local cinema. It cost £4.50 per child, plus food and party bags. The room hire for after the film was £40 (at the cinema) and it came with a host who was fantastic with the kids and did lots of nice games.

Cristina7 Sun 13-Feb-05 00:36:33

OMG, Sansouci, what will those parents do for a wedding if they splash out that much for a birthday party? I suppose though that if they have the money and like to spend it that way, it's their money...

Skribble Sun 13-Feb-05 00:42:04

Don't worry about entertaining them, Play some music and they will jump about for ages. Play some traditional party games. Keep them simple and they will all know what to do.

Try and rope in a more confident freind or family member to play games and DJ. My BIL was great and had more fun than the kids. I did the games along with a freind to help referee.

You could hire a small castle form £40-50 which will help take the presure off. We hired a hall at sports centre for £40 which included a castle. Great value.

Keep the food basic sandwiches, crisps, juice and ice cream. Anything more is a waste and just ends up on the floor. I added sweets, sauce and sprinkles for the kids to help themselves to for an Ice cream factory type thing which made the eating part of the party last longer. Less entertaining .

Once a slice of cake is in the bag you don't need much else try to aim for a £1 and that will save you £30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now