Talk

Advanced search

is it possible to be a "moveaholic"?

(20 Posts)
miggy Fri 11-Feb-05 23:22:07

Thought Id ask this after browsing primelocation for an hour!
Anyone else have a perfectly nice house that other people rave about, yet constantly think about moving. I do and it makes DH really nervous. We never lived anywhere longer than about 3 yrs when I was growing up, have been here 6 yrs now and am starting to get really twitchy Im sure there must be some psychological damage there somewhere.
Dont care where I move-another area, nearer to family, abroad. Just want to move really. Thank god for kids being happy at school, its the only thing that anchors me I think.
DH grew up in one house (where his parents still live) and doesnt understand this.
Am I alone or anyone want to join me in Moveaholics anonymous!

Levanna Fri 11-Feb-05 23:27:05

DH and I are just the same. He grew up in the same house for his whole childhood, in fact the house was only sold a couple of years ago, and his parents bought another very close by. I on the other hand was moved about a lot as a child (nearly 30 homes so far!) and get itchy feet quite regularly. DH and I have just bought our first property though and I feel we will stay here for some time. I have made a conscious decision not to move the children unless absolutely necessary. I didn't enjoy it as a child and don't really feel as though I have a base/bolt hole/somewhere I can always return to. (Doesn't stop the itchy feet though! )

Libb Sat 12-Feb-05 00:51:21

Me too! I am RAF born and it does explain my love of moving regularly! I just love getting to know the new place, once I have every nook sussed - I get bored.

snafu Sat 12-Feb-05 08:03:52

I think it is possible. Since I left home to go to university in 1992, I've moved 13 times. Can anyone beat that?

However, they're not houses that I've owned - that's renting which I think makes you more prone to moving regularly. I get very itchy feet though and that, coupled with relationship break-ups, changing jobs, etc mean that I never stay in one place for very long. It does make life rather fractured, and I do wonder what prompts it, especially as I grew up in the same house for 19 years!

I'd love to settle down and have a place of my own for me and ds. Ironically, I currently live with my parents again and it looks as though I won't have any option but to stay here for several years!

snafu Sat 12-Feb-05 08:07:43

Oh, Levanna, just read your message - think you have beaten me for sure

nailpolish Sat 12-Feb-05 08:13:10

i left home at 16 and im now 31. ive moved house 8 times, and im just about to sell my house again and move. think dh is getting fed up, but he doesnt say anything. i just get itchy feet, cant settle. i think one day ill find somewhere that i can settle, i cant keep doing this now i have babies!

winnie Sat 12-Feb-05 08:18:23

I have moved 23 times in last fifteen years and luckily this has only meant 1 unscheduled change of school for dd. Used to enjoy it... do get very itchy feet after about one year (do believe one can have an addiction to moving) & am looking forward to moving again soon (loathe this house) but I am now desparate for this move to be the last one. Can make homes out of nothing but have been anxious for some roots for several years now. We rent privately so it is very unlikely that it will be the last move

MaryP0p1 Sat 12-Feb-05 08:21:26

I can beat your 13 times. 15 time sbetween the ages of 0-7.

Yes I am a moveaholic. I said it now. However I don't just move up the road, I move town, cities and now countries. I love it, I met so many interesting lovely people and find it exciting.

On a negative note I was speaking to a friend who was a councellor and she said that yes children who move frequently as a child tend to do the same as an adult and therefore don't tend to have as many long standing friends etc. I agree with her to an extent but I think the friendships I have are stronger and more committed because you value them more and wok at them to maintain them.

SeaShells Sat 12-Feb-05 08:27:01

I grew up in one house from the age of 2-16 and it was a perfect family home, I loved it, but since having my DS 6 years ago we have lived in 6 houses! Think I want to find a perfect home for my kids like I had as a child, but haven't seemed to find it yet, I get restless after about 6months somewhere!

snafu Sat 12-Feb-05 08:35:45

Oh, you're all miles ahead of me then - I don't feel so bad now!

I am so restless, but it's about looking for something that probably doesn't exist. Iam the same way with jobs and relationships, though, it all goes together. And I had a very stable childhood so god knows where it comes from.

Also when you are younger and before you have kids it's easier to just pack up the boxes and move on. Now I have ds I'm more aware of wanting a 'home' rather than just a place to live in. But I am beginning to think I'll never get a home of my own.

lunavix Sat 12-Feb-05 08:40:57

In the last 21 years I have lived in... 21 houses.

We've been here 5 months... I want to move!

Dp has lived in 6 houses. 1 he grew up in, 1 was a uni-share house, and 4 with me He does NOT understand

lockets Sat 12-Feb-05 08:42:37

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Sat 12-Feb-05 08:50:36

Message withdrawn

purpleturtle Sat 12-Feb-05 09:33:23

I've a great aunt who is always moving house. She's been known to move next door! I think it gives her something to do.

LapsedGymJunkie Sat 12-Feb-05 09:56:32

How do all you people justify paying the government for the privilege of moving, the stamp duty, the legal fees, the search fees (more tax).

Surely, you would have barely have absorbed the moving costs before you are on the move again.

Just a question, don't want to sound judgmental.

lockets Sat 12-Feb-05 09:58:55

Message withdrawn

LapsedGymJunkie Sat 12-Feb-05 10:05:47

I know, justify was the wrong word but if I have my way I am coming out of here in a box. I do love it, but even when I get tiny twinges I just think about all the dead money and move on (pardon the pun).

Justify was the wrong word.

MaryP0p1 Sat 12-Feb-05 10:08:51

We've never lost money on a house, including expenses. Part of the reason for moving to Italy (our next move) is so we have no mortgage in a nice place to live. A lot less stressful in the longer term.

SeaShells Sat 12-Feb-05 10:13:05

I'm still renting, which I think is the reason we move so often, it never feels like our home IYSWIM, I suppose if we stopped moving around, we'd be able to save up and actually buy somewhere though!

eidsvold Sat 12-Feb-05 11:55:16

will let you know.... I worked out the other day that I had moved 16 times in 18 years.... ( including a move to the Uk from Aus and back again) Am settled now with family of my own and we are not going anywhere.... I left home at 17 but prior to that spent those 17 years in the same family home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now